John Deere L100: blades spin continuously

DNHerring

Threads
I bought a used L100. I noticed today that the blades spin continuously, even if I have the attachment engagement handle set to the 3 o'clock position (pointed right). It feels like maybe they spin stronger with attachment engagement handle set to the 12 o'clock position (pointed forward).

Is this normal? Or should the blades be completely stopped when the handle is at 3 o'clock?

DNHerring

Threads
Any ideas on why they are spinning continuously? I've checked the manual (that Mark linked to) and there is nothing in the troubleshooting section that addresses the mover blades continuously spinning?

Mikel1

Threads
Sounds like a problem with the blade brakes. I would check to see if there contacting pulleys when disengaged.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As mentioned, blade brakes and other possibilities are incorrect belt and / or belt tension being adjusted too tight.

DNHerring

Threads
I'll check the belt tension. I looked and the blade brake is not immediately visable upon inspection. Is there a diagram that shows where the blade brake is located? I have been unsuccessful in my Google searches.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll check the belt tension. I looked and the blade brake is not immediately visable upon inspection. Is there a diagram that shows where the blade brake is located? I have been unsuccessful in my Google searches.

From the left side, using a flash light, look at the edge of the right blade pulley to see that pulley's blade brake. The brake pad contacts the edges of the pulley. To replace that and retain your composure the deck would need to be removed. There is probably one for each blade.

John Deere Blade Brake - GY20825

Last edited: