John Deere E-180

gatorgary

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new John Deere 180 currently showing 9 hours on the meter. The manual shows maintenance to be done at 8 hours. One of these is the lubrication of the front wheel hubs. The manual has a diagram clearly showing a grease fitting on the inside of the wheel center, however there is no grease fitting on the wheel. I have called 3 different dealers for John Deere . One told me I was looking for a manual even though I kept insisting that I had the original manual in my hand. One told me they did not currently have an E-180 in stock so they could not help me. The next one told me I would have to bring the tractor in to their shop (3 hours each way) . The third one asked me for my problem so I told the person on the phone what I wanted. She said , "Let me transfer you to service". I then got a recording stating they had no one who could help me available. I should mention that I called the Deere headquarters first and they gave me the dealers to call. Has anyone on this forum owned an E-180 and found this problem ?

gotomow

Threads
I looked at the manual and I don't see a grease fitting where the arrow is pointing to the letter "B". All I see is the axle and a washer or cover where the axle attaches to the wheel. When I pull up the parts diagram for that area there is no lubrication fitting, (as Deere calls it) either.

gotomow

Threads
IMHO you should always purchase all your parts and lube items from your servicing John Deere dealer. That way when you have a question on something you can ask them in person and build a relationship with your dealer.

gotomow

Threads
Mystery solved. The fitting is on the wheel itself. If you are not seeing it just roll the tractor a bit and you will see it. That's also the reason it didn't show on the parts diagram for the axle assembly, because it's on the wheel.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you see a hole or a plug or plastic cap on the wheel where a fitting is supposed to be installed.

gotomow

Threads
The fitting is not black like the other fittings elsewhere. It is a silvery yellow zinc that is easily missed on the yellow wheel. It's there I saw an E180 yesterday while at Home Depot and did a double take and then found it.