John Deere 425

johndeeretech

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you put 3 extra lights on that is to many lights for that charging system. I know on the new series of the x there is an ad on alternator kit to put on. To keep up with the draw demand of the lights and for the last person that posted you will also need an alternator if there is one for the 445 it should work on the 425 same tractor except one is fuel injected and other is carb

avallk

Forum Newbie
Threads
So.... I have been digging.... found that the Gator has the same FD620D engine as the 425. This also has an optional kit.. John Deere High Capacity Alternator Kit - BM23195. I have yet to find a good picture/installation manual for this. Wondering if anyone had looked at this to see if it would work with the 425/445?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All mower engines have optional larger capacity charging circuits.
On ones with a manual PTO ( Lever ) the alternastor is just needed to top up the battery for starting so it is very small
Next wew get the electric PTO"S and theses draw anything from 3,5A to 7 A so they get a higher output alternator.
Next up are electric PTO'S + lights and these engines get an even bigger alternator and generally a proper regulator rectifier.
In each case it is just a bigger stator ( more windings ) inside the same fly wheel so you just need to replace the stator on these models.
Others fit the bigger stators but eother do not connect the wires or even cut them off inside the fly wheel Japaneese engines tend to be like this ( reduced inventory ).
So before you go spending lot of money, pull the fly wheel and see what is underneath.

mac

Threads
By the way, that 425 HAS a electric PTO. The 445 is fuel injected. I used to have one o each of these. But, I do agree that, in my opinion, you are drawing too much current for he size of the charging system.