Repairs john deere 320

I would recommend replacing the plastic cam gear with the upgraded steel cam gear. I have a 1998 345 which has the exact same motor as the 320 and I put in the steel cam/gear 2 years ago. While I had it apart I also replaced the water pump ($65) oil pump gear ($4) and governor gears ($15). I did it just for piece of mind.

The 320 is well worth spending the money on. Do the steel gear and you wont ever have to worry about it ever again.
 
thanks for the reply. so you split the block with engine upside down, makr sure the timing marks aline then pull the old cam out and slide the new cam in? what about the tappets?
 
You will need new tappets to go with the new cam and gear. They are cheap though. My friend who is a mechanic did the actual motor work for me so I cant comment on that. I just pulled the motor out, cleaned it up and dropped it off with all the new parts. Then I picked it up with all the new parts installed (and old parts in a box) and I put the motor back in.
 
There is a lot of info on this over at mytractorforum.com in the John Deere lawn and garden tractor section and a lot of current members (285,320,345 owners) have done the swap over there.
 
Back
Top