John Deere 14sz walk behind restoration

alphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a John Deere 14SZ silver walk behind that I bought new 30 years ago. Still runs well but wore out, ie., no power. Are there BS rebuild kits available or an easy upgrade replacement engine? Also could use a deck (aluminum) if price is right. I hit something and broke a piece off toward the back so now the belt flips off under heavy cutting. Rather find a good used deck than have this one welded. I’d have to fabricate the missing piece but don’t know exactly what it looks like? I’m in Lawrenceville, Georgia (Atlanta area). I obviously love this mower and don’t want to give up on it and don’t know of a quality mower to replace it with. It always was a little underpowered but not too bad. Any help appreciated, Phil

mmoffitt

Threads
if you replace the deck is it the same mower??

alphil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe “restoration” was not the right word to use. If I knew what the missing piece looked like, maybe I could repair it to keep it original, but that doesn’t matter to me, I’d welcome a good replacement deck. AFA the engine goes, same thing; I’d rebuild it if parts are available, but I’d just as soon use another upgrade engine if it fit perfectly, meaning controls, bolt pattern, shaft length, etc.