John Deere 115 / Briggs 31P877 Surging issue

nitrosport_5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new here and trying to figure out an issue with a mower. it had a bunch of sediment in the tank, the fuel filter was clogged and the gasket that goes in between the metal carb body and the plastic piece that holds the floats was bad. I cleaned the tank, installed a new fuel filter, cleaned the carb and rebuilt it with a carb kit. Now it will run without pouring gas in the engine and spitting it out the exhaust, but it will surge unless the choke is applied slightly.

What causes this surging? I know it is usually a plugged carburetor but i have dissasembled twice and cleaned all of the passages and blown them out with air. Are there any more things that could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, new here and trying to figure out an issue with a mower. it had a bunch of sediment in the tank, the fuel filter was clogged and the gasket that goes in between the metal carb body and the plastic piece that holds the floats was bad. I cleaned the tank, installed a new fuel filter, cleaned the carb and rebuilt it with a carb kit. Now it will run without pouring gas in the engine and spitting it out the exhaust, but it will surge unless the choke is applied slightly.

What causes this surging? I know it is usually a plugged carburetor but i have dissasembled twice and cleaned all of the passages and blown them out with air. Are there any more things that could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Does it still surge when under a load. ( blades engaged ) ?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

nitrosport_5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it still surge when under a load. ( blades engaged ) ?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

I have not tried since I fixed the flooding. it surges so bad I just went ahead with trying to fix it

nitrosport_5

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just took the carb apart for the 4th time. this time soaking it in some of the carb cleaner solution in a gallon can. Carb looks new. installed it and same thing, surges bad but on full throttle it is fairly stable, small small surges but that is it. I try and engage the blades it has no power to get them spinning. tried to restart and it let out a huge backfire. I dont think it is a carb issue anymore. Took a compression test and it read between 130-135 so it has decent compression.

Could this be a timing issue that would cause a surge?

jimrs

Threads
My Honda push mower surges like that until I engage the blades then it runs good. I think it's the carb but will keep running it for now.