John Deer 245 Lawn Tractor 48' cut.

Markacook1

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deer lawn Tractor wont turn over Period all I here is a clicking sound from the relays. Thing's I've done Replaced Starter & silonid,Plug,adjusted the valves, new filter, new gas, spark plug,3 new relays, cleaned all connections and used diolecit grease on all connections,New Battery,new ignition switch with key, and its still just clicking. I'm at my witts end here now ! Any other suggestions ? my PTO is Off, the cut off switch under the seat is Good, Installed a new Clutch. I'm getting 12.45 volts to the starter with the key in the starting position and still nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raisin1

Threads
If you haven't already, remove spark plug and using flywheel nut or pto bolt try to turn engine. You can get maint. manual off ebay for about $10. I got a file download. It will have wiring diagrams.
If you get +12v on starter solenoid trigger wire (small wire) it should click. You would also need +12v on big red cable from battery and big black from battery to engine block. If you don't have +12v on small wire on solenoid when key is turned to start it may be fuse or safety interlock.
A jumper wire made from 2 alligator clips and piece of wire makes good test wire to trouble shoot. You could start by using it to jump from +12v on battery to solenoid trigger (pick) terminal (small wire) on solenoid. Or 12volt trouble light probe is handy.

I've rebuilt a 245 that someone gave my grandson for free so I feel for you. Be careful. But its all just parts and can be fixed.
Trouble shooting follows a flow chart. It asks a ? you answer yes/no and that determines what you do next.