jd170 transmission will not shift

Jd155lt

Threads
:::frown:i have a 170 jhon deere and it will not shift was surging before it stopped shifting

TheGardenMechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it manual or hydrostatic? Check there is enough oil in the transmission or if there is a jam somewhere.

Jd155lt

Threads
Is it manual or hydrostatic? Check there is enough oil in the transmission or if there is a jam somewhere.

It is a Manuel tranny a guy took it a part I checked the pulley and it looks good I think it might b the keyway inside the tranny 1st time I messed with a tranny

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: that tractor as a Peerless 800 series manual transaxle. By not shifting, do you mean that it will not go in gear or something else?

Jd155lt

Threads
:smile: that tractor as a Peerless 800 series manual transaxle. By not shifting, do you mean that it will not go in gear or something else?

It will go into neuterual to start but won't pull itself

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The frist place to look would be out by the rear wheels and check if the key is striped from the axle to the wheel. You should be able to tell this if the axle is spining and the tractor not moving.

Jd155lt

Threads

I was told that the last owner was cutting grass and went to put in reverse and it stopped moving forward or backward buckshot 1 said it could be the key that is in the back wheels it happened to another mower that I had and that's what it was thanks for the help i'll let u know what I find out thanks for everything

Buckshot 1

Threads

:smile: Does it go in gear easy/hard with the tractor running? With the tractor shut off, run it thru the gear range, you should be able to hear/feel it go in gear. Let us know the results.

Buckshot 1

Threads
Yes thx I will thxs so much

:smile:You are Welcome. Also to correctly help you further, I need to know all of the 800 model number. 800/801 series ID tag is on the brake side of the transaxle. 820 model number tag is on the rear of the transaxle.