JD Z665 mower deck breaking belts

Bertrrr

Threads
Have you checked the spindles ? what about the idler pully and tension spring arrangement?
What is the history on the machine ? Did you change anything when this started ?

MB Swanson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Over the last year, replaced all spindles. Just replaced the PTO. Have ordered 3 replacement pulleys. Watched a You Tube. Two tidbits struck: Engage the electric pto at idle then increase, and loosen tension on idler arm. Also, while my deck height adjust says I can go from 1" to 4 1/2", going beyond 3 1/2" way increases the belt angle between pulleys. Am going to incorporate these into my next attempt. At $103 for JD OEM belts, and/or $50+ for substitutes. this is getting frustrating. Six years no problem, now 5 belts in a month, with various tweaks.
Should know by the weekend... will thread one way or the other. Thanks for the feedback.

Bertrrr

Threads
Deck height shouldn't effect the deck belts only the Drive belt angle , mine needs high RPM's to engage initially then you can slow the machine down to where you like to run it.

MB Swanson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Deck height shouldn't effect the deck belts only the Drive belt angle , mine needs high RPM's to engage initially then you can slow the machine down to where you like to run it.
Yes, I meant the drive belt angle. I'm gonna try the low rpm startup and see what happens. Shouldn't hurt anything. Waiting on the 3 pulleys I ordered... May need to rent some goats :)

Bertrrr

Threads
It's so dry here even the goats are looking for weeds / grass or anything