JD Z425 drive belt tension spring

PecanJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi group, New member here. After 9 years the drive belt finally gave up. After 3 hours I have the new belt installed except for the tension spring. The spring came loose from the mower end and was hanging from the tension lever when the belt broke. For the life of me I can't figure out where it attaches to the mower. I've looked at every picture I could find on the internet to no avail. The manual shows the spring, but not the attachment point. Can any of you help out.
Thanks
John, Grand Bay, Alabama

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are 3 different engine and hydro configurations for the z425. If it is the one with separate pump/hydros for each wheel with the angled idlers the spring attaches to the left side frame. If the mower is old the spring will have stretched and won't put enough tension on the belt and it slips. Either new sprong or use zip ties to close up a few coils of spring.

PecanJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are 3 different engine and hydro configurations for the z425. If it is the one with separate pump/hydros for each wheel with the angled idlers the spring attaches to the left side frame. If the mower is old the spring will have stretched and won't put enough tension on the belt and it slips. Either new sprong or use zip ties to close up a few coils of spring.
You were right, thank you. I did have the angled islets. I thought the anchor point was just a bolt hanging down, but once Iaid down on the floor I could see the groove the spring went in. The hardest part of the belt change was to get the belt over the drive fans.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup changed a few of those. Real tight over the fans.

Gymnast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yup changed a few of those. Real tight over the fans.

Hammermechanicman, I am replacing the same belt and am having a very difficult time finding out where the spring attaches to the frame....found the location on the arm but not on the frame. Would appreciate your assistance.​

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the left side of the frame about where your foot would rest there is a notch. The spring stretches further than you think.