JD 425 stopped running during mowing

tconroy4414

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our 425 stopped running while mowing over the weekend and I determined it was a blown upper fuse. Replaced the fuse pulled the PTO and it would shut down did this several times. My husband used a larger fuse and blew the PTO switch which we have on order now. Any ideas what the real issue is?

BBO

Threads
Our 425 stopped running while mowing over the weekend and I determined it was a blown upper fuse. Replaced the fuse pulled the PTO and it would shut down did this several times. My husband used a larger fuse and blew the PTO switch which we have on order now. Any ideas what the real issue is?

NEVER try a larger fuse unless you want to burn something or start a fire.
A smaller fuse is better so that you find out what is blowing it. Sounds like you already know.

Look behind and under the seat for the PTO solenoid.
P_800_445_PTO_Solenoid_6-8-13 007.JPG

Unplug the connector to this solenoid and then measure the ohms across the coil. A new one is 8 ohms...
If the solenoid is bad it's a # AM878297 and about $115.
Do not order anything until you know this is the problem... Do you have a good multimeter?

It's was not that hard for me even without the special tool.
Just be careful with all the parts as they come out. It's that single large nut for the coil, then the shaft is the special bolt.
(They make a special wrench for this that you may not have to use.)
On some it's necessary to raise the gas tank up a tad.

It helps to jack the rear of the mower up to work on this. It's also easier without the fender deck off, but not required.

Attachments

• 50-90_PTO-Solenoid_445.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 28

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

Put the right size fuse in and disconnect the plug on the clutch, put PTO switch on, does it now blow the fuse....No....replace the clutch. and if it still blows the fuse check wiring back from plug to PTO switch.