JD 265 Intermittant Spark

fritzlj476

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD 265 WITH Kawasaki Model FC540V 17hp. Purchased new 26 years ago. Now has about 1500 hours.

New plug this spring (NGK BPR5ES). Ran fine for 25 - 35 hours, then very hard to start. Cranked and cranked. Backfires through carb and exhaust. Starter fluid no help. Once started runs OK.

Replaced plug with E3.22. No change. Removed plug and checked for spark. Intermittant spark, and most frequent at end of cranking cycle. Checked end of wire to plug with same results.

The E3 plug has two ground prongs. Initially I set both to .025. After seeing intermittant spark, I bent one prong closer. It "seemed" to be where the spark jumped.

My (novice) theory - when engine is cranked there is not enough voltage for a consistent spark.

Before I started taking things apart to get to the coil, I want to check with the experts for your advice. My mechinical skill level is low-moderate. Coil was replaced about 700 hours ago. Ignitor never replaced.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I have moved your thread to the John Deere Forum.

Tech Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would start off by checking the clearance on the valves They should be adjusted at least once a year. And try running a mid grade gas at Least.

Tech Andy

Forum Newbie
Threads
And Check out the voltage regulator and test the coils