JD 175 backfires when cranking

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has to be a timing problem I'd think. Is it possible to put the coil on upside down?

AVB

Threads
I don't think so if it has the original plug lead on it but anything possible. Have tried a different Ignitor? I know try can fail strangely.

rwgreene

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried putting the brand new coil on upside down with no difference.....the spark plug wire had to be rerouted but reached the plug.....the kill wire had to be jumped to reach. Also tried a good used coil and trigger by themselves and in all combos with the newly purchased OEM ones. I’ve marked where the intake and exhaust valve opens and closes on the flywheel and where the decompressor blimps.....all on the engine that doesn’t start. Next I want to mark the same thing on the good used engine once I get all the “donor” parts back on....then compare the marks. Too cold to mess around too much here at home.....27* high with no garage heat!

AVB

Threads
Now you know why I not working on the Farmall Super M this week. All I like is the left brake assembly remounting. Just too cold with the wind chill and the snow flurries.