Jacobsen 628D

northcreeek262

Threads
Check valve port plugs will only defeat all rear wheel drive(I found out). Instead I bought two new check valves on ebay for $11 each and modified them to be permanently closed. I drilled and tapped for a 10/32 thread and used 3/4" allen head screws with locking nut (screwed in to bottom plunger into seat) after coating screw with blue loctite.
Nosed it into a ditch and backed right out, never would have before. Drove it up/down several hills, did turns, reverses,etc. and noticed no drivability issues. I did notice that if you do a fast reverse you could spin the rears on wet grass but, real 4wd is what I need.
Mowed some rough stuff today for about an hour, now with forward/reverse 4wd. Worked perfectly with zero issues and rear traction motors were no warmer than the front. I believe that many of the concerns expressed to me by dealers on this subject were just educated guesses with no first hand experience.

Attachments

• 100_1442.JPG
    100_1442.JPG
    951.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

northcreeek262

Threads
Still going strong with 4wd reverse modification, no adverse effects to mower parts or in drivability . Been able to back out of some tough spots.

Cartman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 628D 4WD Turfcat that is losing hydraulic fluid around the piston on the steering cylinder. Has anyone ever torn down that cylinder and rebuilt it?