It was fun, while it lasted.

mlmartin

Threads
But, it only lasted 0.3 hours. My new Cub Cadet 1046VT now has a severely bent blade, the result of hitting a tree root that my Cub Cadet 147 had kept shaved down. The blade bent so far that the tip contacted the ground, dug up dirt and stones. The impact knocked the bagger chute off the mount and it dropped into the blade cavity, making contact with the side of the blade that wasn't bent.

I shut it down immediately. After I discovered the damage, I drove it back to the barn, removed the deck (which is really easy to do) and loaded it into the truck to drop it off at the dealer's on my way to work, tomorrow.

One of the reasons I bought a new tractor was that I was sick and tired of having to repair the CC 147 every time I wanted to use it.

Matthew

BlueGrass

Threads
Oh man that's horrible. Hopefully they can fix it and it will be good as new. I've broke several blades in the past so I feel your pain. My was only on my lawn mower since I don't have a big enough yard for a tractor but I still feel for you. Good luck on getting it fixed.

jet62095

Threads
But, it only lasted 0.3 hours. My new Cub Cadet 1046VT now has a severely bent blade, the result of hitting a tree root that my Cub Cadet 147 had kept shaved down. The blade bent so far that the tip contacted the ground, dug up dirt and stones. The impact knocked the bagger chute off the mount and it dropped into the blade cavity, making contact with the side of the blade that wasn't bent.

I shut it down immediately. After I discovered the damage, I drove it back to the barn, removed the deck (which is really easy to do) and loaded it into the truck to drop it off at the dealer's on my way to work, tomorrow.

One of the reasons I bought a new tractor was that I was sick and tired of having to repair the CC 147 every time I wanted to use it.

Matthew

What had kept happening to the 147? I'm sorry to hear about that. The dealer will give you hell before they pay for warranty parts!

JayC

Threads
But, it only lasted 0.3 hours. My new Cub Cadet 1046VT now has a severely bent blade, the result of hitting a tree root that my Cub Cadet 147 had kept shaved down.

Firstly, hope that the repair isn't too expensive. Secondly, I'd recommend hacking out that root with an axe before picking up your repaired deck.

JayC

mlmartin

Threads
What had kept happening to the 147? I'm sorry to hear about that. The dealer will give you hell before they pay for warranty parts!

On a different forum I wrote:

I have decided to put my tractor down. It's a hard decision but its time has come.

It has a gammy leg that causes it to have a 5' turning radius to the left and a 25' turning radius to the right. It no longer charges its battery so it must be recharged after every use. The solenoid has failed so it has to be started with a jumper cable. It can no longer see at night, as both headlights are broken. The electric lift was the last thing to go leaving it unable to raise or lower its implements.

The battery is held in with a bungee cord, the gas tank is secured with over-sized cable ties. It has no brakes and the hydrostatic transmission won't stay in neutral. The PTO clutch has lost 1/3 of its return springs and will barely disengage. The throttle cable falls out of the actuator on a semi-regular basis. The tires are well on their way to becoming air filters.

I put new points and a condenser in it this spring and it started right up and seemed ready to go. I broke and replaced the PTO belt tighteners and used it one last time to till the garden. It collapsed just as it pulled out onto the lawn as I finished.

This tractor has been my faithful companion for 35 years. It has seen me through separation, divorce, romance and a second marriage. I have used it at six different residences. It has blown snow, tilled, mowed and towed. I have used it as a bulldozer and a stump puller. I had the engine rebuilt when it failed 20 years ago.

We've been through a lot together, but it is now time to send it to the great lawn in the sky where it can mow under the everlasting sun until the end of time.

Matthew (sob)

mlmartin

Threads
Firstly, hope that the repair isn't too expensive. Secondly, I'd recommend hacking out that root with an axe before picking up your repaired deck.

JayC

The dealer charged me for a new blade. No labor. He also sharpened the blade that wasn't bent and inspected the spindles for damage (there was none visible). He also replace the bolt on the chute with a longer one (it's not used to secure the chute, just to locate it). I was able to pick it up the same day I dropped it off.

I'm happy with the dealer, but a bit pissed at a design that uses a spline to attach the blade to the spindle. The 147 had fiber disks that would slip under stress. I think the splines are to keep the blades from hitting each other since the blade overlap each other. Of course, if the pulley slips on the belt, they could collide.

Matthew

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the splines are to keep the blades from hitting each other since the blade overlap each other. Of course, if the pulley slips on the belt, they could collide.

Matthew

The pulleys always slip with relation to each other, the blades are set one forward of the other to prevent them from contacting each other. They will not ever make contact. KennyV

mlmartin

Threads
The dealer charged me for a new blade. No labor. He also sharpened the blade that wasn't bent and inspected the spindles for damage (there was none visible). He also replace the bolt on the chute with a longer one (it's not used to secure the chute, just to locate it). I was able to pick it up the same day I dropped it off.

I'm happy with the dealer, but a bit pissed at a design that uses a spline to attach the blade to the spindle. The 147 had fiber disks that would slip under stress. I think the splines are to keep the blades from hitting each other since the blade overlap each other. Of course, if the pulley slips on the belt, they could collide.

Matthew

That may be the case, but I sure doesn't look like it on the deck.

Matthew