Is there an additive?

Richard320

Threads
I've got a Honda generator. I run it every few weeks to power the weedwacker and a couple times a year my electric tiller. The gas is seldom more than a couple months old. The other day I emptied one of my composters (yes, we can do that in February in Southern California) and dragged the tiller out to work it into the bed. The generator started okay and ran fine, but when I was done I set it down to the Eco mode before shutting it off and it started surging. Eco off, it idles fine though fast (normal). And under load it sounded normal too.

So I suspect a little gumming in the carburetor. Which brings me to the thread title. Is anyone aware of/ a fan of any particular additive I can just run through the tank to dissolve any buildup?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've had good luck with B12 chemtool with minor rough running and surging.
1613671854474.png

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using 100% gas is a big plus, if you can find it out there. I use Seafoam for a gas stabilizer. Keeps fresh gas good for about 2 years.
Seafoam.® will clean your carb & internals at recommended doses per gallon too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect you have a lean running condition at idle. If it came to me I would be doing two things. First, with Honda carbs being so cheap, I would be replacing the carb instead of trying to clean or repair it. Second, if your carb has a float bowl drain plug, I would show the customer how to shut the fuel off and drain the float bowl, if it was not going to the used for 30 days. That way you would not have old fuel In the carb, which will either plug the jets or swell the float needle or seat. In my opinion this would be the best long term solution. I don’t believe in additives, as most will not solve this problem in the long run. Repairing and educating the customer is the best solution.

Born2Mow

Threads
I've been using StarTron fuel treatment for about 12 years. It is an ethanol stabilizer AND fuel system cleaner. It was developed for boats which started to have terrible issues with the alcohol absorbing water. But it turned out to be very useful in classic motorcycles, generators and other rarely-used gasoline engines.

I apply it to my main storage containers so that it gets distributed to my generator, week whacker, chain saw and every other small engine. Rather than being a caustic chemical treatment, they say it's an enzyme. At any rate, it has not attacked the o-rings in my carbs, but does keep them perfectly clean.