Is there a “key” to engage/disengage transmission on YTH22V42?

Clusterliver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Is there a “key” to engage/disengage transmission on YTH22V42?
My tractor starts and runs well. It is very slow to move forward or backwards and will do both for a few feet. There is no noise other than the engine. The mower will engage properly. I can see the slot where the transmission is engaged/disengaged. What is used to push/turn whatever is behind this slot?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably got a worn drive belt and worn plastic v-idler.

As for disengaging it depends which transaxle you have. They usually a Tuff Torque transaxle but I ran into two Tecusmseh LTH2000 transaxles this year where the disengagement lever is so stuck that you can't not disengage them.

Clusterliver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Probably got a worn drive belt and worn plastic v-idler.

As for disengaging it depends which transaxle you have. They usually a Tuff Torque transaxle but I ran into two Tecusmseh LTH2000 transaxles this year where the disengagement lever is so stuck that you can't not disengage them.
Thank you. It is a Tuff Torque transmission. Is there a tool to engage/disengage the transmission?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay, it sounds like you are missing the bypass rod to the transaxle then see image below. Items 69 and 99. But if mower is moving under engine power it is more likely that the drive belt is slipping and the v-idler pulley is worn. IF is not these then the transaxle has failed.

532 42 33-03 Hairpin Soft Zink .059 x 1.125
582 40 45-01 Rod Asm. Bypass

bypass rod.JPG