Is the HRN worth buying?

activelife92

Threads
I own an HRX217HYA and love it. So much so that I’m looking to replace my father’s 15 year old craftsman mower for Father’s day. It’s that’s starting to show age and recently developed a hot start issue. Probably fixable but with Honda ending production, I’d like to get him something new. His yard is smaller than mine which has me thinking that the HRN series may be suitable.

The only concern I have is whether it had enough power to tackle his bermuda lawn. I read that the GCV170 has 4.8hp. His craftsman B&S has 6.75hp and has always had enough power. Granted I feel that even my HRX with the GCV200 rated at 5.6hp seems to run as strong, if not stronger than the “more powerful” B&S. So I get that power figures on paper are not everything.

Can anyone offer feedback on the HRN line? Bonus if you use it to mow bermuda!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dad bought a brand new HRN from a mower shop. He hates it. Wants his Toro Super Recycler back. He always wanted a Honda because all the hype........

Honda mowers are not what they used to be.

activelife92

Threads
Dad bought a brand new HRN from a mower shop. He hates it. Wants his Toro Super Recycler back. He always wanted a Honda because all the hype........

Honda mowers are not what they used to be.
What doesn’t he like about it?

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
just for your own interest go to Tube and type in Chickanic she has done a review of the HRN series lawnmowers and does not have a good word about them, watch the video as she explains the issues with the HRN model

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What doesn’t he like about it?
Doesn't scalp low enough, dumps grass and rocks at your feet and legs, revs too low, doesn't pull backwards at times, doesn't side sling like mowers did back in the 1920's (his words), and the cut quality. I was shocked to hear because these have 4 blades. Dad said it leaves grass trails while mulching. He mows weekly with hardly any grass and a ton of weeds. His grass is not super tall. Oh and he said the bagging performance is terrible. Again this was bought and setup by a reputable mower shop. Not some home cheapo big box mower.

He said he does like the way it starts and runs, easy to do so. Still wants his Toro back LOL. His Toros have lasted 20 plus years each with no issues.

activelife92

Threads
I went ahead and picked one up. I read all of the reviews and watched the videos. I’ll post back my thoughts. Until I give it to him, i have an HRX217 and an HRN216 both sitting side by side in my garage. It looks pretty good, I have to admit.