Is it hard to resharpen a blade yourself?

MarineScott

Threads
Sharpen every kind of blade I have......not hard.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lazarus rises from the dead after being asleep since 2010. But now that he's back among us, here's what I do.

For mower blades I usually use a 12" (about 16 1/2" OAL) Nicholson file and balance with a high-fallootin' Italian balancer. If I'm really lazy, I use a cheap angle grinder with a 4" flap sander.

Edit to add: Pay attention to the outermost 1 to 2 inches of cutting edge. That's were the lion's share of cutting takes place.

For chainsaws, both of mine take a 5/32" round file. I leave the chain on the bar. Depending on how long it's been since it was sharpened, I'll use the round file to clean up a link, counting the number of strokes it took. Then I give all the links this number of strokes. If you don't let a chain get too far gone, it usually only takes two or three strokes and you have a chain that will cut like crazy---for a tank of gas if you don't hit something or get it in the dirt. Then you need to touch it up again.

stanman13

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been sharpening all my own stuff since I was a boy scout, too long ago. Mower blades, axes and the like I sharpen in a vise with a hand file. If the file is sharp it only takes a few minutes. I balance with a piece of thin steel upright in the vise as a fulcrum. It's not that difficult, a beginner can learn to do it pretty easily. It's also satisfying to put the blade back in use and see the difference I made.

cruzenmike

Threads
For the first 7 years that I was a homeowner I did not sharpen my blades; I simply replaced them. I would spend about $50 a year to do a full tune up with an oil flush and two new blades for my HRX. At the time I didn't see an issue with the cost, but it wasn't until I got an Exmark and a set of blades cost nearly $60 alone that I decided to start sharpening them myself. For sharpening I used the Arnold Universal Blade Sharpener found here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arnold-Universal-Lawn-Mower-Blade-Sharpening-Kit-490-850-0006/300615901 This worked well for me and made a razor sharp edge.

I had tried a bench grinder and failed terribly. I do have an angle grinder with a sanding disk which I might try the next time around.

jaxontheweb

Threads
Not hard if done regularly. It depends on how big the yard is as to what regularly is. I use a 4''' side grinder with a 1/4"' thick wheel. Try to replicate the original angle to get the longest life out of the blade. Grind gently or you may burn the edge of the blade. I use a balancer that I got from Harbor Freight when I got the side grinder. It is the one that goes in the mounting hole and is real simple to use. (round pyramid on a nail) This will keep the blades from vibrating the deck to death. Good luck and be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.