Export thread

Is a robotic mower eco-friendly?

M

mois25

I have always likened purchasing a lawn mower to the hassle of choosing what car to buy. With a greater variety, you have gas propelled, electric and/or riding mowers/tractors.

There are claims that a robotic mower comes with the advantage of being environment friendly..how true is this claim?

K

KennyV

There are a lot of variables with the manufacture, use and maintenance plus the ultimate disposal of any thing.

BUT if by robotic you are referring to electric powered mowers, then as a 'general' statement, you could say an electric mower is more environment friendly than a gasoline or diesel rig.

This is ONLY addressing the environment friendly aspect... :smile:KennyV

BGC

BGC

Yes, the electric mowers are more eco friendly and the thought of a robotic mower intrigues me but I can't imagine it being more than trouble where I live.

J

jenkinsph

Whether it is eco friendly or not, whether it is interesting and inovative is paled by the dangerous consequences of it getting out of hand....literally. Anything as dangerous as a lawnmower needs direct control and supervision. When you consider the safety features on new pushmowers it is evident that blade control is a very important consideration.

Now I like robotics and find the technology interesting I just don't wan't them running around my house swinging blades or knives.:biggrin:

M

mois25

I like your point of view jenkisph, you raise a very vital point and one that people need to keenly consider. The idea of it getting out of hand is real and hazardous but I also guess some risks are worth taking.

B

BlueGrass

Something just doesn't sound right about a robotic mower. I mow my grass to get away from everyone in the house. It's my time to have a little me time. No kids, no spouse, just me out in the open air without a care in the world.

G

greengrass

I love all things geek and all things that make my life easier but I have to wonder if these would be anything similar to the Roomba, that little vac that cleans your house. Ours died about two months in and after that I kind of gave up the idea that smaller robotics work as good as larger ones do.