Is a Briggs 18HP single rebuildable?

Newtroyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, I got what I thought was a screamin deal on a Troy Bilt 1842 with an 18 HP Single cyl Briggs and Stratton engine. Trouble is, after warming up, I think I hear a rod knockin in there. It's engine model 31D777 (Industrial/commercial) with 117 hours on it. Is this common? Is this engine rebuildable? I see that there are not bearing shells on the exploded assembly, looks like you just replace the connecting rod. Is that worth while or does the crank usually go to waste at the same time? I have the skills easy, just want to know if it's worth my time and money. The mower is excellent otherwise, so if it's worth while I'd do it. It's not a critical knock now. Probably could sell it and the buyer wouldn't hear it. Anyway, thanks in advance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would pull the valve cover first and check the valve clearances. the intake should be .003-.005 the exhaust .004-.006 to see if that is your knock. if the rod is damaged and is indeed knocking you will probably also need to replace the crankshaft because of aluminum transfer from the rod failure. dealers in some areas may have a good deal on a complete engine that would give you a 2 year warranty on a engine if the rest of the mower is in good shape. that may be the easiest and best solution to the problem is the rod is damaged. had a rider a few years ago that would knock after warmup due to a mouse nest on top of the head. the overheating seized the wrist pin in the piston causing it to knock. replaced the rod piston assy and it is still running. i think that was about 2003.

jeff

Threads
The crank can be cleaned and polished with either acid or by a machinist. If it is indeed the rod that is knocking, now is the time to fix it before the rod breaks and causes further damage. If you are mechanically inclined, it will be a fairly easy repair.

Newtroyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Guys. It seems to be a good mower, and I got it cheap. A hundred and a weekend into the motor to make it fine would probably be worth it. It's not worth purchacing a new motor, but I'll probably tear into it.