intermittent starter problem with JD LT 155

recluse

Forum Newbie
Threads
My LT 155 will start perfectly several times, then just a "groaning" sound. Have tried a new starter, new batterery, cleaned all connections and get the same results. Voltage at battery is 12.54, have tried shorting the solenoid, still the "groaning " sound. Next time I try it starts perfectly! Indicating a loose connection possibly, but WHERE to check. Thanks for any help/ideas.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
See if you have battery volts from the ignition switch to the solenoid,(with key in start) if not check ignition switch, if so replace the solenoid. that's if you have cleaned all connections.

recluse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, may take a while to get to it ,just getting over a sick spell.
recluse

MBTRAC

Threads
Check the wiring where it is routed LHS of the engine (just forward of the battery carrier) - it's quite common for the wiring insulation to start to break down from heat fatigue/age as it was routed too close to the engine & bare wires touching the block causes shorting (easily fixed with spiral wrap &/or heat shrink insulation)

I think it is a common assembly fault on the LT155's as it happened on my 2 & I know of a few others where it's occurred - somewhat surprised there's never been a dealer recall due to the risk of fire.

recluse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. Checked as suggested, all SEEMED and appeared to be OK. To make a LONG story short, my neighbor came by as I was working on it and the final result was the starter wasn't engageing the flywheel due to the little gear on top not popping up. A few drops of oil freeed it up and it worked beautifully! This was the OLD starter, new one still won't engage. But all is well. Thanks again.