Interchangeable Engines?

DThoma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 B&S Power Built engines from lawn/garden tractors. One is a 12.5 hp, Model 28U707, Type 1113-E1, Code 990424ZE. The other is a 12 hp, Model 283707, Type 0147-01, Code 92031031. The 12.5 hp is dead and I would like to replace it with the 12 hp but do not know if they are interchangeable? Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Should not be a problem> IF the charging systems are different, all parts involved are interchangeable including flywheel, even cooling shroud IF the 12.5 flywheel happens to have plastic cooling fan.
Walt Conner

DThoma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Should not be a problem> IF the charging systems are different, all parts involved are interchangeable including flywheel, even cooling shroud IF the 12.5 flywheel happens to have plastic cooling fan.
Walt Conner

I was hoping that they were. I reached out to B&S and they told me that they weren't but I assumed they want me to buy a new engine.
Thank you for your response.

keakar

Threads
something is different since there is a letter in the engine code number but that shouldnt matter as far as swapping them out

my guess is the air filter or something is configured different or as mentioned maybe one has a different or no starter or charging system at all if it has a recoil starter

the engine mounting bolt pattern and shafts should be identical