I'm getting a free mower with a problem Kohler CV20S

bigoledude

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I'm getting a free mower with a problem Kohler CV20S
This is a 1990 model CV20-S in a Dixie Chopper with relatively low-hours. I will actually get it here in a few days.

Model----CV20 S
Spec-----65541
Serial-----2724105917
Displ------624cc

Here is what I know about it. It won't start. There is more than two wires to the starter. How do I hook up a fresh battery directly to the starter to determine if, in fact, the starter is bad?

For a couple months before the owner parked it, the motor was losing oil through one cylinder. It would foul the plug pretty quickly. I don't believe there is a positive pressure in the crankcase. A local repair shop owner I met, told me that he would bet the house on it being a head-gasket with this Kohler. I have spent a short time on the internet and have read many instances where the head gaskets are the culprit on this engine. Is there a way to trouble-shoot this situation to narrow-down the possibilities before tearing the heads off?

taxidermist

Threads
This is a 1990 model CV20-S in a Dixie Chopper with relatively low-hours. I will actually get it here in a few days.

Model----CV20 S
Spec-----65541
Serial-----2724105917
Displ------624cc

Here is what I know about it. It won't start. There is more than two wires to the starter. How do I hook up a fresh battery directly to the starter to determine if, in fact, the starter is bad?

For a couple months before the owner parked it, the motor was losing oil through one cylinder. It would foul the plug pretty quickly. I don't believe there is a positive pressure in the crankcase. A local repair shop owner I met, told me that he would bet the house on it being a head-gasket with this Kohler. I have spent a short time on the internet and have read many instances where the head gaskets are the culprit on this engine. Is there a way to trouble-shoot this situation to narrow-down the possibilities before tearing the heads off?

Yes losing oil in one cyl. and fouling plug with oil and smoking is a real good sign it has a head gasket leak.

webuyanymower.com

Threads
Yes losing oil in one cyl. and fouling plug with oil and smoking is a real good sign it has a head gasket leak.

Odds are its the head gasket. you could use jump leads from a slave battery to by pass the ignition system to check the starter.