Export thread

ignition timing

S

shinytopgeezer

In the small engine world of single cylinder and small twins of lawn maintenance types, do the newer engines have ignition advance/retard systems in them? Remembering older (non-computer) auto engines this was done using flyweights in the distributor and vacuum diaphragms. Then along came computers and sensors to accomplish the advance/retard in the ignition. With all the advances in electronics, do any of the small engines in our world have a variable ignition timing built in to them for easier starting and lower fuel consumption. Seems it should be a no-brainer. Anything in the aftermarket?:anyone:

I

ILENGINE

The larger Kohler command engines, I think some of the new Briggs engines, and some of the high end chain saws (Stihl, Dolmar, Husqvarna) use electronic variable timing ignition modules.

BAGGMAN's MOTOR SHOP

BAGGMAN's MOTOR SHOP

kohler 15-16 hp single cyl I have seen on Craftsman Riders that have a CDI box. If i am not mistaken retards ignition for easier starting and then advances. I have seen them without it too.

M

motoman

the retard sounds useful, but don't know why much advance is necessay on ? 3200 rpm engines that rely on torque mainly

I

ILENGINE

The spark advance allows the engine manufacturers to increase hp with the same size block as the lower hp engine. Example, Kohler has a 18,20,22 hp engines that used the same block. the difference between the 18 and 20 was a throttle butterfly stop that only allowed the throttle plate to open half way. The difference between the 20 amd 22 was the smart spark. spark advance module.

S

shinytopgeezer

the retard sounds useful, but don't know why much advance is necessay on ? 3200 rpm engines that rely on torque mainly

Well in the hotrod-small block chevy world they start well with 4 to 6 degrees initial timing, but by 3000 rpm the "centrifical" advance is all in, usually around 34 to 36 degrees total, depending on the engine. I don't recall how much farther the vacuum advance would pull it at light throttle, but you could sure tell it at the gas pump if the vacuum was un-hooked!!!! I sure wouldn't want to yank the cord on a little engine with 30 degrees initial timing!!!!:rolleyes:

impalass

impalass

In the small engine world of single cylinder and small twins of lawn maintenance types, do the newer engines have ignition advance/retard systems in them? Remembering older (non-computer) auto engines this was done using flyweights in the distributor and vacuum diaphragms. Then along came computers and sensors to accomplish the advance/retard in the ignition. With all the advances in electronics, do any of the small engines in our world have a variable ignition timing built in to them for easier starting and lower fuel consumption. Seems it should be a no-brainer. Anything in the aftermarket?:anyone:
Lawn boy uses a 2 stage coil on the older F engines.

M

motoman

ILENG, thanks, the increase could not be much, 1-2HP?