If you were trapped on a desert island...

briggs

Threads
a hatchet so i could chop fire wood need heat :rolleyes:

dria

Threads
Lol, me too. I actually learned something. I did not know there was a tool called a spork. If someone had asked me to bring them a sporke before I red this I would have taken them a spoon/fork.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Great thread -- reminds me of one of my favorite movies: Cast Away starring Tom Hanks as a guy who gets stranded on a deserted (not desert) island and has to figure out how to survive. Among the problems he had to deal with was loneliness -- so he made friends with a volleyball named "Wilson".

To answer the question: I think, since the island has very little rain (desert), I'd go with some kind of general purpose tool that would help me catch some fish -- maybe a knife that I could attach to a stick to make a spear. But if the island has little rain is there a source of fresh water? If not, chances of survival are nil.:mad:

But if there is fresh water then agriculture would be possible. Which brings us back to the Sporke. I'd bring that as well as a variety of seeds and fertilizer.

Twinkle

Threads
I am surprised the spork is not so well known. I love mine! I remember that Castaway movie - though the ball he talked to was kind of creepy! I never thought about drinking water, perhaps there are cacti, you can get moisture from them perhaps?

Smartaleck

Threads
I am surprised the spork is not so well known. I love mine!

I've got a knork, in fact I have a set of four, but this is a knife and fork combined or really just a fork with a heavy balanced head so that you can use the side to cut like a knife! A bit different to a spork though they sound similar. :laughing:

carla6

Threads
This is a good and interesting question, but if I could have one tool on a desert island I would choose a basic spade shovel. You can do so much with it if you are innovative.

Rose

Threads
As a horse farmer, I think I would take my pitchfork. I could use it to spear fish, :licking: and to pull up shell fish from the shallow water. It would also be good for clearing any freshwater pools on the island for drinking.

Nice thread, and funny. I always enjoy a good laugh.:laughing:

pebbles

Threads
I would take a rake to rake the sand obviously. No point taking a lawn mower there wouldn't be any grass to now. An axe would be good as well.