i1046 slows on left turns

mrjt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I got a 2007 i1046 for free. It runs fine but loses forward drive in left turns. I'm trying to see if this is a simple fix or if I should put it out on the street with a "FREE" sign on it. I googled the problem and found a lot of discussion but nothing I could call a real answer. Has anybody out there had and fixed this problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot more detail would be good
Looses drive is not particularly informative.
This is a free forum , not twitter and you are not charged by the word .

mrjt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well Bert, I thought I was pretty succinct when explaining the problem. When making a left turn, the mower slows to a crawl. Right turns and straight ahead are normal. Reverse is normal. I've been in possession of the mower for 10 days now and it came to me with the problem. Since the issue has been posted in other forums before, it's obvious to me at least, that maybe, just maybe, somebody would have an explanation as to what to do to fix it. Your conjecture about loose belts is not helpful unless you have had the same problem with the same model mower and changing the belts fixed it. There, did I satisfy the word quota?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only thing that comes to mind if the left wheel turning too steeply so you are dragging across the tyre or the wheel fouling on the deck or the frame.
Excessive wear in the front cross member allows it to roll forward when you turn which makes a mess of the steering geometry.
Do some gradual left turns and see exactly where the restriction kicks in.
Does the engine change sounds, like for instance it is straining on left turns ?
Does the clutch brake pedal move ?
Rest your foot on it and see if it feel like it is going light on left turns which would indicate the steering mechanism is fouling on the clutching system.
Does the left wheel move differently ( twist or cant ) when turning left to the right wheel when turning right ?

And please remember, you are there with the mower right in front of you so you can see ,smell , hear & feel what is happening.
We are sitting in front of a screen with nothing more than your words to try & imagine what your mower is doing to you which is quite a feat some times .
You are the first person to come here with this problem so we have no quick answer tucked away in the back reaches of our minds & that model was never sold in Australia.
This would tend to indicate it was not a major fault as most US manufacturers with a major manufacturing fault ship them down here at a heavily discounted price.

There are only 4 types of transmissions used on ride on mowers and to a large extent the maker is irrelevant when trying to trouble shoot

mrjt

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a zero turn mower, the wheels can't rub. If the motor slowed down I would have mentioned that. I've since checked the sector gears on the king pins and they're correctly timed. The original question still applies: Why does the mower slow down on left turns, all other things being normal? Has anyone else on this forum experienced this problem with a Cub Cadet i1046 Time Saver mower, and if so, how did you fix it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The i1046 is a tractor not a ZTR so the wheels can rub on the deck.
Decks do not sit square on in the frame, usually the left is further forward than the right.
The allows the front left & rear right to foul on the wheels.
As you have now ruled out all of the known problems with tractor style mowers when turning I can not offer any more assistance
Very wide decks can also tilt during a turn and drag on the ground but you would have seen that happening and also noticed scalping on turns
Every couple of days reply to your own post with the word "anyone" this will keep on bumping your thread to "todays posts" which might get a cub dealer to do some deeper research.
Mowers should slow down when turning as the engine is governed and a turn is a change is velocity which requires an acceleration if the same ground speed is to be maintained.
However I can see no reason why it would be different left to right other than what was already mentioned
Good luck & happy mowing .