Export thread

I think its a murray, but need help.

Sjkader

Sjkader

Ok this may sound dumb but i have this old mower that i paid nothing for and have run the heck out of it. Its marked a lawn general 46" 3 blade deck. 18 hp 14 speed. Here is my problem. I have no model or serial number. It runs two belts to the deck. One runs from the motor to a dual pulley on the left side of the deck. There is another belt that runs from that pulley to two other pulleys including a tensioner. My issue is the belts finally have stretched beyond use and i need to replace them but have no idea what i need. I should also replace the drive belt as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Sjkader

R

Rivets

Try this Murray model number, 46430x31A

tom3

tom3

Does this deck engage with a big handle that also lets the blade deck down?

Sjkader

Sjkader

Does this deck engage with a big handle that also lets the blade deck down?
No it doesnt. It has a separate pto lever.

Sjkader

Sjkader

Try this Murray model number, 46430x31A
Its close but the double pulley is on the left side of deck. So ultimately right now the one blade will engage but the other two wont. The belt is stretched i believe.

R

Rivets

Can you post all engine numbers, so I have an idea of an approximate year?

Sjkader

Sjkader

Can you post all engine numbers, so I have an idea of an approximate year?
B&S model 422707 type 1510 01 code 9402185B

Sjkader

Sjkader

20200510_152648_30.jpg

Sjkader

Sjkader

20200510_152654_30.jpg

Sjkader

Sjkader

Sjkader

Sjkader

The spring loaded tensioner isnt free moving. My grass is tall and wet. Looks like it moved but didnt spring back causing the belt to throw. Thank you so much for the help.

Sjkader

Sjkader

If it isnt one thing its another. Bearings went out on tensioner lol. Ordered a new one. Lol

Sjkader

Sjkader

So i replaced a bad pulley and something dont seem right on how it sits when clutch released

Attachments

Sjkader

Sjkader

Sorry this pic

Attachments

R

Rivets

What was the part number for the belts you got?

R

Rivets

In the pictureS in post #14 & #15, is the brake on or off?

Sjkader

Sjkader

Brake was off.
Those pictures are prior to belt change.

Sjkader

Sjkader

I went with Stens OEM Replacement Belt, MTD 954-0362, and Stens OEM Replacement Belt, MTD 954-0358

Sjkader

Sjkader

I also noticed when i release the clutch it releases fast and then the clutch gets slower and i can use my foot to pull it all the way back (released)

R

Rivets

Those two pulleys should never touch. Are they still touching with the new belts installed?

Sjkader

Sjkader

Those two pulleys should never touch. Are they still touching with the new belts installed?
Yes they are. When the clutch is released the two touch

R

Rivets

Either the belt is the wrong length or not routed correctly. I’ll find the length for you.

R

Rivets

Belt length should be 47.5”.

Sjkader

Sjkader

Either the belt is the wrong length or not routed correctly. I’ll find the length for you.
Ill double check its routed correctly

R

Rivets

You will have to remove the belt to measure it.

Sjkader

Sjkader

Belt length should be 47.5”.
ill get back to you on that. I did put it against the old one and it was a perfect match.

B

bertsmobile1

Check the pivot hole.
If it is flogged out oval it will allow the pulleys to move too far.
Also check the clutch tension spring.
They get weak and they also cut a groove in the anchor point which has the same effect.

Sjkader

Sjkader

Check the pivot hole.
If it is flogged out oval it will allow the pulleys to move too far.
Also check the clutch tension spring.
They get weak and they also cut a groove in the anchor point which has the same effect.
I apologize if i sound dumb but this is my first time working on mowers. The pivot hole?

Sjkader

Sjkader

You will have to remove the belt to measure it.
Its the correct length. Sorry had to tear it down. Put it together and move it out to work on golf cart. I really need to clean out the other side of garage lol

B

bertsmobile1

Do not appologise for asking any question ever.
Peoples mechanical aptitude varies so if some one uses a term you do not understand then by all means ask .
The moving pulley is mounted on an arm that pivots around a bolt
Some times there is a bush there .
The hole is the pivot hole
It s supposed to be oiled but never does so it wears oval.
Twenty thou of wear on the hole is a 1/4 " at the pulley

Sjkader

Sjkader

Do not appologise for asking any question ever.
Peoples mechanical aptitude varies so if some one uses a term you do not understand then by all means ask .
The moving pulley is mounted on an arm that pivots around a bolt
Some times there is a bush there .
The hole is the pivot hole
It s supposed to be oiled but never does so it wears oval.
Twenty thou of wear on the hole is a 1/4 " at the pulley
Could this be the problem? I have had issues with this before. It has a metal post that stops it from pulling to far back. It has been bent before. I also believe its missing the nylon piece.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

No that is the throttle , but it dose suffer the same fate.
It is part # 74, just below the image on your screen shot
It wears oval on the pin # &# which itself can wear.
A very small amout of wear leads to a lot of movement at the pulley
It could also be because the top belt is running on the root of the variable speed pulley
Put ypour foot hard down on the accelerator pedal & crank the engine for a few seconds.
Anothe culprit can be the spring # 76 is in the wrong place & pulling too hard on the lever which in turn forces the small pulley to close to the large one.

Sjkader

Sjkader

I gave up the battle. Broke down and bought a new mower. Thank you all for your help.

R

Rivets

Pivot hole is where the pulley bolt goes through. If the hole is not round the pulley will wobble.