Export thread

I think I narrowed down my tractor choice

R

RJL1

I think I've narrowed down my choice of tractors to two models. The first is a Craftsman Pro Series 24 HP V-Twin Kohler Elite 46" Turn Tight Extreme Riding Mower and the second is a John Deere D140 48 in. 22 HP V-Twin Hydrostatic Front-Engine Riding Mower. Who makes the engine in the JD? Anyone with some knowledge on these two machines please give me your opinion, good and bad. Also if there is another model that you feel is better please advise. I was researching the Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower as well. I have a little over an acre, some hills and moderate obstacles (trees). Plan on aerating, thatching, mulching and bagging.
I would have added a link to all three machines but I have no idea how to pull that off.

Thanks

Bob

M

mechanic mark

Briggs & Stratton makes the engine for JD140. Have you considered going to a dealer & looking? Are you going to perform scheduled maintenance & repairs yourself? This is something you need to consider. I would take my time looking & do your research. Remember you get what you pay for, a dealer would be my choice. Turn around time for maintenance at a dealer is much quicker than purchasing from a big box store which takes at least two weeks.

R

RJL1

In the past I've done all maintenance and repairs within reason. (belts, mandrels etc.) To date I've had only Craftsman's tractors, both growing up and mowing my folks home and two at my homes. The Craftsman's I've had and used seemed to last about 10 years and then everything started to break and require maintenance at once. I'm leaning towards the Craftsman pro (the very tight turn radius has me very interested) but have always been very interested with the JD line of lawn tractors. Seems to be two completely different motors as well, a Briggs and a Kohler.

R

RJL1

Bump. Getting close. I want to buy one of the three in the next week or so. Any and all opinions welcome.

Thank you

Bob

Carscw

Carscw

First take the Deere off your list.
Cub cadet Is a very well made mower. And the best on hills out of the 3 on your list.

The craftsmen is also a very good mower.
And the best choice if going to use attachments.

primerbulb120

primerbulb120

First take the Deere off your list.

I second that. JD parts are too expensive, and the mowers just aren't what they used to be.

R

RJL1

What bout the "X" series of JD equipment. Its quite a bit more money than the "D" series. The "X" has a better frame and components than a "D" as well a Kawi motor. Is the Kawi motor that much better than a briggs or Kohler? I would fork over an additional grand or 1500 if the "X" lasted substantially longer than a "D" or a Craftsman for that matter with minimal issues. Is the "X" a "get what you pay for" piece of equipment?

Thanks

Bob

T

tbarnett

What bout the "X" series of JD equipment. Its quite a bit more money than the "D" series. The "X" has a better frame and components than a "D" as well a Kawi motor. Is the Kawi motor that much better than a briggs or Kohler? I would fork over an additional grand or 1500 if the "X" lasted substantially longer than a "D" or a Craftsman for that matter with minimal issues. Is the "X" a "get what you pay for" piece of equipment?

Thanks

Bob

From what I learned was that the majority of lawn tractors/riding mowers made and sold in the US are made by MTD or Husqvarna. Most of your lower end John Deere sold at the big box stores are made by MTD and sold under license of JD only. By the way MTD also builds & owns Cub Cadet. Husqvarna builds Craftsman, Ariens and other brands of lawn tractors/riding mowers. If you are interested with the John Deere brand I highly recommend that you go to a dealer and compare the product(s). The same applies with Husqvarna vs. Craftsman, etc.

Happy shopping!

Carscw

Carscw

I am not a fan of the Kawasaki engine. And would not spend the extra money.
As far as junk Deere goes no the X is not worth the money. You can get a better built mower for the same money. And just some info the D series mowers you get at the box store are the exact same one at the dealer.

As far as lawn/garden tractors go. Cub cadet is the best bang for the buck.

R

RJL1

Ok. So now I'm down to the cub cadet and the craftsman. Very similar in price with what I want as far as accessories. (Bagger, bumper, cart and or extended warranty) The Cub Cadet is about the same price as the Craftsman. I drove to the JD dealer, looked at the D140 and 130. Nice units, not impressed with the plastic hoods and the way the gas tank shakes around. Just looks like problems. I was talking to the salesman and he advised the JD's I was looking at have great trannys, the Craftsman's have a plastic tranny. Not sure WTF he was talking about. Anyway left the JD dealer and drove to our Sears store that has the exact mower I'm thinking about. I liked how sturdy it felt. Also liked the tight turn feature. Now the Cub Cadet keeps popping up in this conversation. When I looked at the JD and CC at our Home Depot they both shared the flimsy hood, but the CC was a bit less money. Anyway, I was really wanting a JD but it just seems to be inferior to the other two units. Gonna rely on you good folks and your advise/insight and do massive amounts of further research this weekend. Man, ADD is exhausting, lol. Gonna order up Monday.
Keep the advise flying please, I REALLY appreciate it.

Bob

T

tbarnett

Ok. So now I'm down to the cub cadet and the craftsman. Very similar in price with what I want as far as accessories. (Bagger, bumper, cart and or extended warranty) The Cub Cadet is about the same price as the Craftsman. I drove to the JD dealer, looked at the D140 and 130. Nice units, not impressed with the plastic hoods and the way the gas tank shakes around. Just looks like problems. I was talking to the salesman and he advised the JD's I was looking at have great trannys, the Craftsman's have a plastic tranny. Not sure WTF he was talking about. Anyway left the JD dealer and drove to our Sears store that has the exact mower I'm thinking about. I liked how sturdy it felt. Also liked the tight turn feature. Now the Cub Cadet keeps popping up in this conversation. When I looked at the JD and CC at our Home Depot they both shared the flimsy hood, but the CC was a bit less money. Anyway, I was really wanting a JD but it just seems to be inferior to the other two units. Gonna rely on you good folks and your advise/insight and do massive amounts of further research this weekend. Man, ADD is exhausting, lol. Gonna order up Monday.
Keep the advise flying please, I REALLY appreciate it.

Bob

The Craftsman Model you are looking at Pro-Series 247-20442 is made by MTD, (The 247-XXXXX denotes MTD, whereas 917-XXXXX is Husqvarna). As I mentioned before, Cub Cadet is owned by MTD. However, some of the Cub Cadets have a safety device where you cannot mow in reverse and is a PITA! I believe the Craftsman Pro-Series however, allows for reverse mowing. Just another thing to check out. . .

A

Alaguy

Cub Cadet has a system to mow in reverse. You turn the key 1 notch to the left, press a button, and the mower will stay in that mode until you shut the mower off. It works really well.

R

RJL1

The Craftsman Model you are looking at Pro-Series 247-20442 is made by MTD, (The 247-XXXXX denotes MTD, whereas 917-XXXXX is Husqvarna). As I mentioned before, Cub Cadet is owned by MTD. However, some of the Cub Cadets have a safety device where you cannot mow in reverse and is a PITA! I believe the Craftsman Pro-Series however, allows for reverse mowing. Just another thing to check out. . .

In regards to the MTD vs. Husky should I stick with one or the other? I hate that I'm gonna say this but if I should stick with say the Husky, should I add that to my mania of research?

Carscw

Carscw

Mtd is owned by cub cadet.

I have used just about every brand riding mower.
I take care of foreclosed homes. So I abuse my mowers. Some yards that have not been cut in years the weeds are 4 foot tall.
A couple years ago I was 3 hours from home and broke my mower. Went to tractor supply and got a $1500 cub 42 in cut. I used it for a year put 950 hours on it. And sold it for $750 it still ran and cut like new.
Only thing I ever did to was change the oil and filters and blades. Changed the spindle bearings and deck belt twice.
Never had to change the drive belt.
The cub was the only mower to handle the abuse. And will now hills very easy.
And they all will mow in reverse.
If I was to buy a new riding mower today it would be a cub.

M

Mikel1

I would like crapsman better if they didn't discontinue parts so fast. Surprised Sears hasn't sold that line yet.
I really don't see a problem with plastic/composite hood unless you like running into stuff.
Also remember some of our members on here are commercial lawn cutters. So it's apples to oranges comparison. Going to look for friction puck for a 7 year old crapsman that's nla.

R

RJL1

I drove to our local Husqvarna dealer and talked to one of the salesman there. He priced my two quotes. One was on the YTH line with a 46" deck at 1850 and another quote on the upper end GT line on a GT 48LXSi with a 48" deck for 3000. I really liked the build quality of the GT, particularly the heavy duty deck and the grease fittings on most moving parts. All of the others I looked at had sealed bearings and the like. Any intel on the GT?

Bob

A

Alaguy

You might want to go to the Husqvarna site, and check some of the reviews for that GT, some are a couple years old, and some are pretty recent. Good Luck

Carscw

Carscw

They all have sealed bearings. The grease zerks are so you feel you are getting a better build mower. It actually does more harm then good to pump grease into the spindle.

R

RJL1

Thanks Carcs. That's good info I didn't know.

R

RJL1

Well, I made up my mind. Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. I was going into this thing determined to get a John Deere and being done with Craftsman, only because that's the only mower I ever used in my 50 years. After consulting with you good folks and visiting the JD and Husky dealer as well as Home Depot for the Cub Cadet and Sears for the Craftsman and sitting on and messing with all of the machines I was interested in I decided on the Craftsman Pro series. Just seems more sturdy than the JD and CC as well as substantially less expensive than the Husqvarna. I visited a million sites for reviews, comparisons etc. Just makes sense. Anyway thanks again.

Bob

Carscw

Carscw

Well, I made up my mind. Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. I was going into this thing determined to get a John Deere and being done with Craftsman, only because that's the only mower I ever used in my 50 years. After consulting with you good folks and visiting the JD and Husky dealer as well as Home Depot for the Cub Cadet and Sears for the Craftsman and sitting on and messing with all of the machines I was interested in I decided on the Craftsman Pro series. Just seems more sturdy than the JD and CC as well as substantially less expensive than the Husqvarna. I visited a million sites for reviews, comparisons etc. Just makes sense. Anyway thanks again. Bob
Good choice. Post a picture of it.
Happy mowing.

I

ingigo

Have you bought any attachments? How even does it cut the lawn? I almost bought one, I got a Husqvarna, so I kinda did buy a craftsman.
how or what kind of of transmission does it have? any cool features?

R

RJL1

Well I have an update. I was literally in the final stages of placing my order on the Sears site and I figured I would print out what I have and drive to the husqvarnia, which is under 5 miles away and show them my print out and see if they can work with me with the price. They came in 300 dollars more than the Craftman and triple bagger. So I'm getting a Garden tractor, the YT48XLS with the welded deck and a triple bagger. It was a no brainer, 300 bucks more for alot more machine. Can't wait to get it. Probably by the end of the week.

Bob

T

tbarnett

Congratulations on your new tractor, good deal!! Let us know when it's delivered.

R

RJL1

I have an update to my update. My dealer and I both didn't realize the bagger required for the YT48XLS was nearly a grand and further more came with some pretty questionable reviews, for the bagger, the tractor itself looks awesome. I also wasn't convinced I could take the bagging system off and on as much as I do when I'm using the tractor. It seems it's belt driven from the mower deck. truth be told if it was easy to get off and had some better reviews I would have bit the bullet and stuck with the YT48XLS. Anyway today the dealer came and picked up the YT48XLS and dropped off a YT24V48. I'm kind of bummed I stepping down a bit tractor wise, deck wise and motor wise but I'll get over it. I'd post a pic but I have no idea how to resize it to fit in my album.
Finally my exhausting tractor research debacle is over. Hopefully this new machine performs as advertised.

Thanks again all for the help.

Bob