I need help!

tdilweg78

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know a lot about mowers or engines but I'm slowly teaching myself. I own a Cub Cadet LTX 1045 and I was mowing the lawn last week and realized it was much louder than normal. I looked at the exhaust and saw that the arm had completely broken off from the muffler box. I figured that the only thing this would do is make the mower louder. However, after rinsing it off, I had trouble starting it. It eventually turned over and drove fine. Then, when I tried starting it yesterday, it would initially crank but not turn over. I kept trying to start it because the last time it happened. after a handful of attempts it eventually started. However there was no luck this time. My question is, will the break in my exhaust cause this issue? If not what could it be? After trying it a few time it barely even cranks now. Any advice helps!

gainestruk

Threads
I think it has 20 hp single in it, the exhaust should have no effect other than louder.
I wouldn't run it like that, engines are designed to have some back pressure from muffler, and could be fire hazard in tall dry grass.

How many hours on mower ?
Did hard start just happen or has it been getting worse over time ?

One thought is you need to adjust valves, adj. cold intake .005 exhaust .007
If valves are out it could cause engine be hard to spin with starter.

Check battery and make sure it is good (most parts stores Autozone Napa etc.) will load test for free.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't think the exhaust problem is related to the starting problem. Lets start with having the battery load tested at the local auto or battery store. Sound like a problem with the battery, which could be just ran down if the charging system isn't working.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running without the muffler on can , and note I said CAN burn the exhaust valve.
This would be most noticeable by lack of compression so motor will spin quicker than normal when you attempt to start it.

However in a no start situation it is always best to start from scratch.
1) check for a spark at the plug .
2) Got a spark then try some starter fluid.
3) still no joy check the valve lash
4) still no joy then check the flywheel key.