I need help dialing in my model 39 mower deck on my 214

smalltownguy2

Threads
  • / I need help dialing in my model 39 mower deck on my 214
So I've had a chance to do nearly a full season of mowing with my newly acquired 214, and I'm noticing that my mower deck needs some love. I need some help with adjustments.

Right now I can see that it's higher on one side than the other, even though all the guide wheels are installed in the same hole. I'm getting uneven lines in my rows.

What are the other ways to adjust this deck? There's a black adjustment knob on my mower, I believe it's a fine height adjustment. My raise/lower arm also seems to have a few stops.

What's the correct setup procedure for this deck?

Also, I'm learning that there are different types of blades for the different types of mowing you do: high lift blades for use with a grass catcher, medium lift blades, other types of blades?

75% of the time I use my 214, I'm using the side discharge and leaving the clippings on the lawn. When I can't get to the lawn weekly, I will bolt up the grass catcher and bag up my clippings. For this reason, I leave the high lift blades on all the time. Is that OK? Or should I be putting some other type of blades on when I'm not using the grass catcher?

Also, I've noticed that my catcher 'sags' a bit in the mounting bracket. I think years of use have maybe elongated the holes of the mounting bracket, or potentially bent the mast of the catcher assembly. It's not much, but it's just enough that the top of the catcher chute peeks out of the gasket a bit. If I grab the catcher assembly and lift, I can pivot it forward about 2 inches, and then the chute moves all the way into the gasket. I need to remedy the situation, as grass has been flying out of the top of the catcher. My bungee cord solution is not a permanent fix. I have considered putting a steel shim in the mounting bracket to force the mast to sit upright higher, but I'm not sure how I would secure a shim to prevent it from falling out while bouncing around the yard. Thoughts?