Export thread

I HATE WET SNOW

JDgreen

JDgreen

THis area got about 3 inches of the white stuff today, and the temperature is just above freezing, tried using my single stage blower to clear the drive and walks before the snow could freeze solid, and once again my blower cannot move the slush out the chute. I end up with a plug of heavy wet snow almost discharged out of the chute, while the auger spins and pushes the stuff ahead of the blower. If the snow were deeper, the auger would pack enough in to push the plugs all the way out...spraying the discharge chute with Pam or WD-40 doesn't make any difference. Back about '83 I had a Jacobson Sno-Burst with paddles on the front instead of a single stage auger, that is the only snowthrower of it's type I ever had that would clear wet slush without plugging up. I HATE WET SNOW...:mad::mad:

L

LandN

hey jd, try taking 1/2 cuts with the blower. are the paddles working fast enough. hey,i heard a LOT about "FLUID FILM" a lot of guys are using it on another snow related forum and are real happy with it,my dealer carries it but i never bought it cause i really never had a 'serious' issue with clog-ups.(but yea i get a few) i heard some guys even line the inside the chute with different plastics.i know its heavy stuff to deal with, just take it slowwwww, :smile::biggrin:

JDgreen

JDgreen

hey jd, try taking 1/2 cuts with the blower. are the paddles working fast enough. hey,i heard a LOT about "FLUID FILM" a lot of guys are using it on another snow related forum and are real happy with it,my dealer carries it but i never bought it cause i really never had a 'serious' issue with clog-ups.(but yea i get a few) i heard some guys even line the inside the chute with different plastics.i know its heavy stuff to deal with, just take it slowwwww, :smile::biggrin:

Thanks for feedback, trying half cuts didn't work ten years ago and will not now...can't imagine how lining the chute with another kind of plastic would be possible as it's already plastic....:confused2:

K

KennyV

Your right JD the only thing you can do with wet snow is try to increase the velocity of the snow at the chute... hard to do with a single stage blower... :smile:KennyV

O

oldfatguy

vintage jari snow thrower briggs&stratton engine 2 way - eBay (item 300510424576 end time Jan-08-11 14:08:33 PST)
I have a Jari just like this one, and it works great in wet snow it won't throw it far but is doesn't clog up. I wish that I lived closer and I would buy this one too. The best thing that I did is to tap the hot water line in the house to the garden hose,it works great on an iced up snow blower it saved the day a few times.

JDgreen

JDgreen

vintage jari snow thrower briggs&stratton engine 2 way - eBay (item 300510424576 end time Jan-08-11 14:08:33 PST)
I have a Jari just like this one, and it works great in wet snow it won't throw it far but is doesn't clog up. I wish that I lived closer and I would buy this one too. The best thing that I did is to tap the hot water line in the house to the garden hose,it works great on an iced up snow blower it saved the day a few times.

Thanks for the link, have never heard or seen anything of that brand, I would pay him three hundred bucks for it if I could get there cheaply lol. Love old snowblowers hope other people on LMF live nearby so they can buy that antique.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Your right JD the only thing you can do with wet snow is try to increase the velocity of the snow at the chute... hard to do with a single stage blower... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, if the snow were deeper the auger will pick up enough snow that it will push the plug out, but when the snow isn't deep enough it cannot do that.

O

oldfatguy

Thanks for the link, have never heard or seen anything of that brand, I would pay him three hundred bucks for it if I could get there cheaply lol. Love old snowblowers hope other people on LMF live nearby so they can buy that antique.

You might be able to have the guy ship it to you, the sad thing is there is not a lot of interest in old equipment like that and if he can't sell it he will probably just junk it.

I

indypower

I can deal with wet snow. What I don't like it the 3"- 4" snows. Not quit enough to snowblow, yet a little too much to shovel. (yes, I am old which is why I have a snowblower). And my driveway is 75ft long as well as my side walk. And it sounds like that is what we will be getting Sat.

K

KennyV

Don't know why but even looking at the pictures I associate that machine with a lawn mower... not a snow blower? But it would have been a lot of years ago I am recalling from... :smile:KennyV

SouthCentral

SouthCentral

Wet snow is the worst... so heavy and hard to deal with, then it gets all slushy and freezes into sharp edges which won't be going away until the next wet snow. :laughing:

4jd318

try taking 1/2 cuts with the blower. are the paddles working fast enough. hey,i heard a LOT about "FLUID FILM" a lot of guys are using it on another snow related forum and are real happy with it,my dealer carries it but i never bought it cause i really never had a 'serious' issue with clog-ups.(but yea i get a few) i heard some guys even line the inside the chute with different plastics.i know its heavy stuff to deal with, just take it slowwwww, :smile::biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Bad advice, go fast and force it through. My jd 430 has a lot of smoke flowing when snow is running water but never plugs with 46 thrower which is not a great thrower.
4jd318

O

oldfatguy

I found that if the belts are slipping at all it makes the the machine clog up with wet snow

M

monica123

I am beginning to absolutely hate snow. We had such a nice start to our winter and it started snowing on Boxing day and hasn't stopped yet. I share your same anger as most of ours is heavy and wet too.

demhustler

demhustler

new one-stage - all with rotating discharge choote - all suck, all got clog-in in wet snow and useless

new two-stage - doesn't even have power rating on US-selling equipment, just cc & some torque on unknown rpm...
main reason we keep fixing old snowblowers instead of replacing on new ones - now you can't find one with wide blower and chute opening, like old ones - new have narrow diameter and clogs-in momentarily in wet conditions (see pict)

solution could be - to cut opening in side of blower wall - make hitch - like door or window you can open when snow got wet - to blow it at least to the side
another solution - board or broom on the front (underneath) to use snowblower like plow /angle broom

Attachments

M

monica123

I found something worse than wet snow, wet snow that freezes! That stuff is horrible to try to move, nothing not even the tractor will move it.

demhustler

demhustler

yea, freezing rain (+ snow) - nasty, probably the best way to do it - what highway services do - constant chemical application and plow softened staff, layer by layer, to keep strong chemical concentration and avoid refreezing

btw. guy on youtube put 25hp (?) Kohler engine on regular snow blower - the wetter and heavier snow - the father and higher it shoots : ))))))