Export thread

I can't get my deck belt back on

Mattlap

Mattlap

I have a 50in xt1 cub cadet. I removed the deck easily but I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the belt back on. I pull on the spring and I am still not getting enough slack to put it back on. What am I missing?

B

bertsmobile1

Either the belt is routed wrong or the belt itself is wrong.
If you still have the old one, take the new one off and check them for length.
Kevlar belts by & large do not stretch.
At best you can get about 0,05% stretch .
However belts do get labeled wrong

Mattlap

Mattlap

It the original belt that came with it.

B

bertsmobile1

Then it is routed wrong

Mattlap

Mattlap

I checked and rechecked and it seems to be routed properly. I am completely baffled. Thank you for trying though.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Cub cadet usually has a sticker on the deck showing the belt routing..
post the model number that is on a tag under the seat and we'll see if we can help you out. with a model number we can look at the diagrams and see how stuff is supposed to go.

Mattlap

Mattlap

Cub cadet usually has a sticker on the deck showing the belt routing..
post the model number that is on a tag under the seat and we'll see if we can help you out. with a model number we can look at the diagrams and see how stuff is supposed to go.
Model number is 13aqa1cq009. Serial number is 1c306h20389

dougand3

dougand3

Go to cubcadet.com. Input model & serial #s. Download manual. Page 29 shows belt routing.
cubcadetbelt1.jpg

G

Gord Baker

Check that deck is mounted correctly. You may be able to loosen off the 2 nuts at the back of the deck if it is the model I am thinking of to give more slack. Note original placement.

StarTech

StarTech

The idler spring needs to be detached to install the deck belt. Here I use an in house made spring hook tool to remove and install these springs.

M

mechanic mark

With gloves on pull idler arm attached to spring vs. spring itself.

K

Kubotafan

I have a John Deere Z710 and have used a ratchet strap to pull the idler arm back and hold it while the belt was positioned.

L

longsam1950

I have a John Deere Z710 and have used a ratchet strap to pull the idler arm back and hold it while the belt was positioned.
I have an old LT1050, and to replace the deck belt, I use a 3/8 in ratchet in the plate that connects the spring to the deck.
This takes the tension off the belt, so you can put it over the pulley, I'm not familiar with the newer models. I've had mine since 2005.

B

bertsmobile1

Yep,
I was embarrassed by an 62 year old customer who when he saw me trying to pull a tension arm back with a spring puller that was just the wrong size to work, pushed me out of the way , hooked up a fork leg tie down strap and had the belt back ion in about 15 seconds .

S

Southland

I use a tie down strap around the idler to pull the spring. Then when the belt is on, I slide the strap from under the belt. It's even easier if you have two people.

Mattlap

Mattlap

I ended up using a ratchet strap to pull the spring which gave me enough slack. I tried to post a photo but everytime I try it says file is too large.

StarTech

StarTech

Here is an example of the spring hook I made here except mine has a longer shaft and smaller hook. I have use these tools for years as I came from the office equipment repair industry.
9010310_ptl_w86557_pri_larg.jpg

Yep,
I was embarrassed by an 62 year old customer who when he saw me trying to pull a tension arm back with a spring puller that was just the wrong size to work, pushed me out of the way , hooked up a fork leg tie down strap and had the belt back ion in about 15 seconds .
And your customer has me beat by a year.