I am really bad at this....

It started!!!!
Thank you so much!
Remind me again what wire I un-hooked?
Phogan

Ok you got spark after disconnecting the primary wire to the coil. They nick name it kill wire because when negative power is applied to the wire it kills the power to the coil. So now you will have to find the problem with the chassis wiring or a switch. You will need a wiring diagram for that. Just remember negative power not positive or you can burn up the coil if you mix the two.
 
Ok you got spark after disconnecting the primary wire to the coil. They nick name it kill wire because when negative power is applied to the wire it kills the power to the coil. So now you will have to find the problem with the chassis wiring or a switch. You will need a wiring diagram for that. Just remember negative power not positive or you can burn up the coil if you mix the two.

Run Forest!! Run!!!!
 
Okay I figure I can track down a wiring diagram on the Internet. Are there any likely culprits I should start with though?
Thanks
 
It is a DR leaf vac, do you have a model/model number?

It is likely a sensor on a chute or something, but if you let us know what you have, we could be more specific...
 
Sorry took me a while to get back to everyone. It's running great!
the insulator on the arm from the stop run switch to the carburetor had broken off and I think that was shorting out the ground somehow but I may be wrong. Anyway it's running now so I'm not asking questions and I'm super happy!!
thanks again for everything everyone!!
Now onto my John Deere 318.
Thanks
Phogan
 
You're welcome ;)
Sorry took me a while to get back to everyone. It's running great!
the insulator on the arm from the stop run switch to the carburetor had broken off and I think that was shorting out the ground somehow but I may be wrong. Anyway it's running now so I'm not asking questions and I'm super happy!!
thanks again for everything everyone!!
Now onto my John Deere 318.
Thanks
Phogan
 
lol..................................
That's what I did when I read your advice ;) Go back and read my reply and then read your replies.
Oh hell I'll make it easy on you.
You can try a new or known good spark plug if you don't have a spark tester (recommended) but I'm guessing it isn't the plug. You should have two wires to the magneto/coil. One to the spark plug and one grounding wire to a kill/stop switch. Before you buy a new coil, disconnect that stop switch connector from the magneto/coil and check for spark again. If you have spark then the problem is in the wiring or stop switch. If you still don't have spark then it's probably time for a new coil/module.
Heres a couple of good videos on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8Y3l5piBY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFykwhf9YBs
And your guesses were "fuel related" and "some sort of sensor." Can you still lol?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top