hydrostatic bypass valve

mumptia

Threads
I'm still working on the JD 185 in my shop. If I was repairing this for profit I would have lost my shirt a while ago.

Fixing it is for my students so we've gone end to end on it.

I thought we were done but now the hydro is giving me trouble. I'm not well versed in hydrostatic so here I am.

The bypass valve seesm to be stuck. I can push it around the shop but when I turn the pypass lever to engage the hydro, it still in nuetral.

Sticky valve maybe? I sure don't want to take the tranny out to check. But, if I have to.............

Any thoughts

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you sure you are pumping oil through the system? If you remove the return from the trans (while supplying oil to the pump) is there oil flowing from that removes line? Is there an accessible port between the pump and the trans? OR at the bypass valve?
Was there a hydraulic problem prior to the take down?

Getting air out of the system can be a problem...:smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
I'll check those.

No prior issues with hydro. Mower was driven to its 5 year parking spot.

thks

mumptia

Threads
Got it.

It was an air lock and low fluid (hence the lock).

Buuuuuut, now a new problem. I was taking the fillier pipe off the rear-end housing to check the screen :mad:and the threaded flange turned right off.

Half of the break is old and dark and the rest of course is bright and crisp.

Now have to make a new flange

Attachments

• P4150160.jpg
    P4150160.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 35

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha... always a new challenge...
Glad you got the pump/trans working...
a little machine work and you will have this new development in check... :smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
He he . I just shook my head. Someone cracked it before I started at it. Probably didn't know that they did it. The repair is the works now. I'll post when it's done.