Hydrostat mower moves slow and then stops

slow030

Threads
Recently picked up a Craftsman rider model 917. 273160 with hydrostat. Runs great, but was moving slow, and after mowing about 15 minutes it stopped moving. I replaced the drive belt, but no improvement. Replaced the fluid in the hydrostat, again no improvement except after warming up it never stopped moving completely, just slowed to a crawl. What can I do to fix this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you bleed he hydro ?
What oil did you use ?
Which hydro are we talking about ?
Is the tranny quiet or growls like a mountain lion ?
Did you check the input pulley splines ?

slow030

Threads
To bleed, I raised the rear off the ground and ran it back and forth from forward to reverse multiple times, is that the proper procedure? Used synthetic 20w-50. Not sure what hydro, tag says hydro-gear then has a bunch of numbers. It is quiet for the most part. When it stops moving and I continue to push on the lever it makes some growling noise, but quiets down if I release the pressure on the lever. No, didn't check the splines on pully shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Purging should be done at the lowest speed the engine will run at .
Otherwise you just froth up the oil
Give the purge a second try .
My rough bush test for a hydro is to try and roll it off m tilting trailer without releasing the bypass valve.If I have to pull hard, then the tranny is good
If it will just roll when pulled lightly it is OK
If it races down & runs over my foot it is gone.
The growling is bubbles of oil blowing out the side of the cylinder / valve plate interface

slow030

Threads
Bleed again at low engine speed. Noticed that when in forward both wheels turn, then after a few seconds the right one stops. Same in reverse, the right one stops. Went back and forth about 10 times. Without releasing the bypass, it takes some effort to push, I do have a tilt trailer, may try that if I ever get home before dark.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you are getting there
Some boxes purge like a dream in less than a minute .
The the exact same model box on the same model mower takes 1/2 a day
I have gotten so frustrated at times I hooked up my sump pimp to the breather and put the box under vacuum to pull the mongrel air out .

So do not be surprised if you need to purge a dozen or more times with a couple of hours rest to allow the oil to settle.

slow030

Threads
Have tried bleeding 8-10 times, still the same, both wheels turn then after about 5 seconds the right wheel stops. Should I keep trying to bleed, or try something else?

4950cycle

Threads
Did you ever get it working ?

slow030

Threads
No, don't have the room to work on it this winter, I think I will take it apart next spring and see if the pump is bad.