Hydraulic oil question

Born2Mow

Threads
Dixie has changed the recommended oil so many times that I'm convinced that any decent oil will work. First I think they called for 15w40, then they called for their own VTC proprietary oil, and finally Lucas 15w40 diesel oil. I'm currently using NAPA 15w40 diesel oil
Whoa, now! You need to be careful here. The EPA has mandated change in the formulation of 15w40 "diesel oil" within the last 3 or 4 years. It formerly had a ZDDP "zinc package" for very strenuous applications. That has now been removed.

The EPA is only worried about street use, so you can still get the ZDDP in "after market racing oils" like the Lucas, Valvoline VR-1 and other off-street oils. Or, you can buy the ZDDP as a liquid additive and add a teaspoon.

I don't know that the ZDDP was the reason Dixie changed their minds, but it seems likely. Professional mowing would be a high-stress application. But if you use this Dixie to do your front yard once a week, then that's an entirely different application and stress level.

Hope this helps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since most are recommending engine oil, I would put used motor oil in it and call it a day. No need for premium oil that you will dump out in the future. Hydro manufacturers are not even using a proper hydraulic fluid LOL.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since most are recommending engine oil, I would put used motor oil in it and call it a day. No need for premium oil that you will dump out in the future. Hydro manufacturers are not even using a proper hydraulic fluid LOL.

slomo
Are you nuts? Used motor contains dirt, other metals and contaminates like acids that can damage the slip plates along with pistons and cylinders. All it take is scratch that yo can hang you finger on to make these slip plate ineffective.

These units are design to use motor oil like 20w50. Even Tuff Torq recommends standard 20w50 but do sell a synthetic 15w50 oil as a premium grade with additives. I would use what the hydrostatic OEM recommends and be stay.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your mower’s operators manual may tell you one thing and the hydrostatic transmission manufacturer may tell you something different. My Gravely has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400s. Gravely recommends 15W50 synthetic engine oil or the Gravely branded hydrostatic oil. Hydro-Gear says to use 20W50 engine oil. They don’t specify synthetic or conventional. I will follow Hydro-Gear’s recommendation. My former Toro had ZT-3100s and I used Super Tech 20W50.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you nuts? Used motor contains dirt, other metals and contaminates like acids that can damage the slip plates along with pistons and cylinders. All it take is scratch that yo can hang you finger on to make these slip plate ineffective.

These units are design to use motor oil like 20w50. Even Tuff Torq recommends standard 20w50 but do sell a synthetic 15w50 oil as a premium grade with additives. I would use what the hydrostatic OEM recommends and be stay.
It is possible to filter used oil and reuse. :p Most people change it too early. Amsoil says you can run it for 25,000 miles now. (y) How many lawns is that??

You could use water if it wasn't corrosive. This is a hydraulic fluid application, not the space shuttle. Sure, run the OEM suggested fluid I get it. And yes I am crazy. LOL You make being crazy sound like a bad deal.

Oh and thanks Joe Biden for the $3.15 gallon of 87 octane 100% gas now. E-10 was $1.69 in Oklahoma when Trump was in office.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your mower’s operators manual may tell you one thing and the hydrostatic transmission manufacturer may tell you something different. My Gravely has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3400s. Gravely recommends 15W50 synthetic engine oil or the Gravely branded hydrostatic oil. Hydro-Gear says to use 20W50 engine oil. They don’t specify synthetic or conventional. I will follow Hydro-Gear’s recommendation. My former Toro had ZT-3100s and I used Super Tech 20W50.
The mower factory often uses a thinner oil than the tranny makers recommend to compensate for things like snow blowing .
JD get their hydros filled with 10W 40
Good thing about that is when the 10w40 gives up the ghost you can usualy squeeze a season or 3 out of the duff box by refilling with 20W50

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

slomo
You really need to pull a few hydros down so you can appreciate just how precisely hey are machined.
As for using old engine oil, it would have to be chemically stabilized then filtered through a 0-1µ to get rid or particulates which will cause errosion between the kidney plate & valve chest which is where most fail .

Born2Mow

Threads
So that is 4 different oils that Dixie has used in the same hydro parts.
4 different oils Dixie has used OVER A SPAN OF TIME, during which the formulation of the oils has also been CHANGED. Dixie is most probably chasing "the best oils" in order to get the most protection for their customers.

As I said, I don't think it really makes any difference.
The Devil is in the details, my friend.
  • So are you saying there is no difference between the various oils ?
  • Or, are you saying there is no difference in wear between the the pro who drives his mower 11 hours a day every day, and a residential user who is mowing 45 min every other week ?
  • Or, are you saying your engineering degree qualifies you to make such a statement ? That you are in fact more qualified than the entire engineering staff at Dixie ?
I simply want to get that detail straight.