hydraulic lifters in 16hp Kohler cv460s

mrfixit

Forum Newbie
Threads
The riding mower in question had the intake rocker come off the top of the valve. As I'm reinstalling it I tighten the securing bolt on the middle of the rocker arm it compresses the valve slightly. Both on the intake and exhaust. If the bolt isn't tight the whole assembly would rattle off instantly. But when torqued properly the valves are held off the seats and therefore no compression even after turning the engine over the valves cannot close all the way. The mower has been running well until the rocker came off. Below is the instruction out of the service manual verbatim.

Seat the push rods into sockets under the
end of the rocker arm and align the rocker
arms over the valve stems. Hold the rocker
arm in the position and torque the screws to
11.3 Nキm (100 in. lb.).

Any ideas. First set of hydraulic lifters I've come across.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lifters have pumped up. I usually roll the engine over by hand to open one of the valves all the way and let is set for a few hours. and then roll it over to open the other valve and let is set. It will compress the lifters and hopefully they will close after that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do the same thing, sometimes I have to do each valve a couple of times. Also, make sure that the rod is centered in the lifter. if they move to the side this will not work.