Hustler Z hydrogear pump flush

clutchrod934

Forum Newbie
Threads
a friend brought this hustler model 926923 with serial 03120927 to me and ask could i repair the oil leaks coming from the hydro's. Well like a true freind I said yes. So I ordered 2 seal kits for the pumps and put them in just like instructions said. And put them back on bled air out of system and now only one side will turn slowly,the other side nothing .I tried bleeding again. Well I ordered one pump and while waiting for it to come in I decided to flush the system and I removed all oil from resorvor and there was metal shavings in there.not a lot but some.how can i tell if this is from pump or wheel motor

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only true way of determining cause is with special pressure and flow meter test equipment(expensive). Now with that said, the pump normally will produce a really fine powder type debris when it fails Looks similar to aluminum anti seize. A failed wheel motor will produce larger more gritty type debris when it fails. If the pump fails it will not damage the drive motor. But because of the larger debris produced by a failed wheel motor will damage the pump. Also if one side fails it shouldn't cross contaminate the other side unless there isn't a filter for the return from the reservoir,

rick.kinney

Threads
most of the time the bottom caps just need turned around for the pressure to build as long as you jack it up and purge the system. follow the manual and all will work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And very important to purge the tranny when everything is COLD.
Also purge at the lowest speed that the engine will run smoothly because any air in the system will froth and the faster it is spinning the faster it will froth .
Once frothed it can take a very long while for all the bubbles to break so the remaining air can be removed.
Some times it has taken several days to fully purge drives.
If they have an overflow I hook up a vacuum pump to that to help suck the air out.