Hustler XR-7 Won't start - Blade Engage Saftey Switch?

apmacon@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler XR-7 Won't start - Blade Engage Saftey Switch?
I need help please. My Hustler XR-7 won't start. Here's the deal: Over the past few months it got to where I would have to cycle the blade engage switch up and back down in order to get the starter to engage. Once, the starter engaged, the mower started and operated normally. Then it got to where I would have to cycle the blade engage switch up and down several times to get it to start. Recently it takes about 60 secs of moving the blade engage switch up and down until the starter decides to engage. Sometimes longer.

I can hear a solenoid or relay clicking when I cycle the blade engage switch. Somewhere down on the engine. I'm thinking that whatever tells the starter that the blade switch is disengaged is failing or not grounded properly. Early in this process, I replaced the Blade engage switch and it changed nothing.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed?
Thanks,
Joe

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't the problem is blade switch related. More likely either a bad safety switch, poor connection to a safety swtich, or a grounding problem with something in the starting circuit.

apmacon@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't the problem is blade switch related. More likely either a bad safety switch, poor connection to a safety swtich, or a grounding problem with something in the starting circuit.

Thanks for your response. It seems like just turning the ignition key does not suffice. The starter will only engage if I cycle the blade engage switch. There seems to be a certain timing of cycling the blade engage switch and turning the ignition key that gets the starter to engage.

I think I need to be directed to the location of the safety switch. ?

Thanks again,
Joe

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There may be one on the parking brake, as well as both direction levers. If they are like most, they won't be easy to get to. Could also be a starter solenoid problem, as well as a bad ground someplace in the system.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Hustler Forum. :smile:

sugardaddy6916

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a hustler 60" and my wife just sucked the pool cover into the blades. i got it all out and now i cant get it to start. i checked all the fuses and they seem fine. any suggestions?