Hustler raptor SD54 electrical problem

oakley86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi: I having a problem. My mower starts fine, but when I move the handles inward it kills the engine. Could the HD switches be causing this, or should I be looking somewhere else ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Likely it is the seat switch or its wiring that failed.

oakley86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'll try that

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two safety circuits that will do this
Seat + brake turns off mower if you fall off
Brake + lap bars prevents you driving of with the brake applied

oakley86

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Doesn't a brake switch mechanically engage and disengage brakes via the lap bars.
1688478103802.png

oakley86

Forum Newbie
Threads
I disconnected the seat switch, but the engine still dies when I move the steering bars inward.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Of course it dies. the seat switch is an openly open switch which closes when you sit on the seat. Now the mower would know no one is ever on the seat.

oakley86

Forum Newbie
Threads
i understand. I found the problem, one of the safety switch plungers was not coming out when arm came inward. I've ordered a new one and that should correct the problem. Thanks for your help !!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Otherwords it stays closed and the other lap bar is the one shutting down the mower because the seat switch or its wiring is bad. The lap bar switches are wired in series (ie both lap bars have to be in the neutral position in order for the mower to start). Once the engine starts and the lap are pulled in then the seat switch takes over keep the kill relay active. When the lap bars are not in the neutral position the switches creates an open circuit IE no current or voltage flow that circuit and you are depending the seat switch to be closed (IE depressed).

So the Tan/Red wire must have 12V when starting and running in order to keep the kill relay pulled in. What is happening is when you pull in the lap bars the 12v is no longer there because there is no 12v coming from the seat switch and the kill drops out killing the engine.