Export thread

Hustler Fastrak SD, Kubota 200 series or Kubota 700 series.

T

TigerFanatic1

Of the 3, which would you get for 1.20 acres? I'm not sure what the prices are on the Kubotas, I'm assuming they will all be in $7,000 range.

S

Shughes717

Of the 3, which would you get for 1.20 acres? I'm not sure what the prices are on the Kubotas, I'm assuming they will all be in $7,000 range.

$7000.00 is an awful lot of money to spend for 1.20 acres. You can get plenty of mower for your lawn for much less. If you are dead set on one of them then any will be fine. I am a big fan of hustler, but the kubota mowers are great as well. Any mower you get in that price range will be over kill for your lawn. Do you have steep hills or any ponds on your property?

S

Shughes717

If the price is close on the three you are deciding between then I would go with the kubota z700 series.

T

TigerFanatic1

$7000.00 is an awful lot of money to spend for 1.20 acres. You can get plenty of mower for your lawn for much less. If you are dead set on one of them then any will be fine. I am a big fan of hustler, but the kubota mowers are great as well. Any mower you get in that price range will be over kill for your lawn. Do you have steep hills or any ponds on your property?

I figure $7000 is overkill, but i also looked at a couple more things. I figure I will have to spend $5000-$5500or so for one with one of the better engines etc. I will have to finance whatever I get and the $5000-$5500 range mowers that I have looked at are 4.9% for 4 years. The $7000 range mowers are a lot better mower with great engines and offer 0% for 4 years.

Since noticing that I need a new mower, I've been debating quality vs overkill and $$$$ lol.

I am definitely open to any suggestions, as I'm not partial to any brand. My land is as flat as it can be.

K

katit

I always see this 0% mentioned. Just so you know - Sheffield financial is a company. And it's NOT 0%. You pay 0.9% prepaid interest and about $50 documentation fee. For me it was about $125 upfront.

I bought Raptor SD for .7 acre and feel like I'm cutting too fast :) No doubt $7k machine will be nice, but check Raptor SD with 60 inch deck. It has financing, nice seat, engine guard. You will do your 1.2 in no time. $4400.

T

TigerFanatic1

I always see this 0% mentioned. Just so you know - Sheffield financial is a company. And it's NOT 0%. You pay 0.9% prepaid interest and about $50 documentation fee. For me it was about $125 upfront.

I bought Raptor SD for .7 acre and feel like I'm cutting too fast :) No doubt $7k machine will be nice, but check Raptor SD with 60 inch deck. It has financing, nice seat, engine guard. You will do your 1.2 in no time. $4400.

I agree, there are always hidden fees because they have to make something. I read a lot of negative reviews on the Raptor and have shied away from it. Looking at it though, it is the one I initially picked.

S

Shughes717

I agree, there are always hidden fees because they have to make something. I read a lot of negative reviews on the Raptor and have shied away from it. Looking at it though, it is the one I initially picked.

The raptor and the raptor sd are two different mowers. The sd is a better mower and can handle your lawn with ease. There are many other options out there as well. The kubota kommander 100 series, the exmark quest or pioneer series, toro Titan mx series, ferris is600, snapper pro s50xt, gravely zt Xl, husqvarna mz and mzt series, country clipper edge series (cool features such as single joy stick control and a flip forward deck). There are many more options those are just some off the top of my head. It is close to the end of mowing season. Take your time and check all the dealers in your area. If you wait till after mowing season you will get a better deal

T

TigerFanatic1

The raptor and the raptor sd are two different mowers. The sd is a better mower and can handle your lawn with ease. There are many other options out there as well. The kubota kommander 100 series, the exmark quest or pioneer series, toro Titan mx series, ferris is600, snapper pro s50xt, gravely zt Xl, husqvarna mz and mzt series, country clipper edge series (cool features such as single joy stick control and a flip forward deck). There are many more options those are just some off the top of my head. It is close to the end of mowing season. Take your time and check all the dealers in your area. If you wait till after mowing season you will get a better deal

I guess the inconsistent reviews scare me. It's one of those things where you don't want to spend $5000 on a headache when you can spend a couple thousand more. I originally planned to buy offseason but the local dealers barely have anything on the floor. Most of them are farm equipment dealers and have it to an art on small equipment inventory control.

S

Shughes717

I guess the inconsistent reviews scare me. It's one of those things where you don't want to spend $5000 on a headache when you can spend a couple thousand more. I originally planned to buy offseason but the local dealers barely have anything on the floor. Most of them are farm equipment dealers and have it to an art on small equipment inventory control.

If you are worried about the reviews on the raptor sd then there are plenty of other options in the same price range that have better reviews. All will be over kill for your lawn, so you should have no trouble getting many years of service from any of them. $5000 can buy a lot of mower. Find out what options you have in your area and test them all. That is the best way to find the mower you are most comfortable with.

Elendil

Elendil

I just pulled the trigger on a Kubota Z723KH. With the $1000 rebate plus 0% for 48 months, it was an easy decision.

T

TigerFanatic1

I just pulled the trigger on a Kubota Z723KH. With the $1000 rebate plus 0% for 48 months, it was an easy decision.

Just saw that today, if I go with a $7k machine, it will probably be this one now. But like Shughes mentioned, that is probably overkill for 1.20 acres.

Elendil

Elendil

Just saw that today, if I go with a $7k machine, it will probably be this one now. But like Shughes mentioned, that is probably overkill for 1.20 acres.

Probably, but it will also probably be the last mower you buy.........

Worst case scenario is that it will hold its value very well if you ever need to sell it.......

S

Shughes717

Probably, but it will also probably be the last mower you buy.........

Worst case scenario is that it will hold its value very well if you ever need to sell it.......

Any of the mowers tiger fanatic is looking at will likely be the last mower he needs to buy. A $7000 mower for 1.2 acres is a waste. No need to spend that much to mow a lawn that size. Can get a very well built mower for much less. I do like the z700 series mowers though.

T

TigerFanatic1

Any of the mowers tiger fanatic is looking at will likely be the last mower he needs to buy. A $7000 mower for 1.2 acres is a waste. No need to spend that much to mow a lawn that size. Can get a very well built mower for much less. I do like the z700 series mowers though.

You've really got me looking at the Kubota Kommander and Hustler Raptor SD now. :confused2:

S

Shughes717

You've really got me looking at the Kubota Kommander and Hustler Raptor SD now. :confused2:

Both are good mowers. Test every brand that you can find in your area in that price range. They will all have some different features, but will have similar drive train components. All will have commercial quality decks as well. Any mower you choose in that price range will be a great machine. It will just depend on what features you like best, and which is the most comfortable to you.

T

TigerFanatic1

I should be able to test the Kommander, but not the Raptor. Our local Hustler dealer is a John Deere supplier and only have a Fastrak SD on location.

S

Shughes717

I should be able to test the Kommander, but not the Raptor. Our local Hustler dealer is a John Deere supplier and only have a Fastrak SD on location.

Are there any other brands in your area?

T

TigerFanatic1

Only brands in my hometown are Kubota, ExMark, John Deere, Hustler and I think Tractor Supply sells a Bad Boy in the 5K range. About 45 minutes away, I have most other brands available.

S

Shughes717

Only brands in my hometown are Kubota, ExMark, John Deere, Hustler and I think Tractor Supply sells a Bad Boy in the 5K range. About 45 minutes away, I have most other brands available.

Not a fan of bad boy myself. Not enough dealer support. Their outlaw series is built like a tank, but that will cost a lot more than 5k. Exmark is a very good brand. Can be pricey as well, but some of their pioneer models should be in your price range as well.

T

TigerFanatic1

I believe their cheapest Pioneer 'E' was $6,000. I contacted them to see what it had to offer and what the differences were between the 'E' and 'S' models; I was told to look online for a brochure and let them know if I wanted to buy one. I was really surprised by the way they were acting, they have been a local business since I was a kid. I guess times change.

Elendil

Elendil

I believe their cheapest Pioneer 'E' was $6,000. I contacted them to see what it had to offer and what the differences were between the 'E' and 'S' models; I was told to look online for a brochure and let them know if I wanted to buy one. I was really surprised by the way they were acting, they have been a local business since I was a kid. I guess times change.

I agree. This kind of attitude drives me nuts. They think they are doing you a favor by "allowing" you to purchase their product. Guess that is what comes from having too much success.

The dealer that I purchased my Z723 from offered to drive out any and all models I was interested in to let me run them on my property at my convenience when I first made contact after I started looking for a new unit. He deals in several quality brands (Kubota, Hustler, Toro, Exmark,Gravely). Because of his accommodating attitude, I immediately narrowed my list to the brands he sold and made every effort to make sure he was the dealer that I purchased from.

T

TigerFanatic1

I agree. This kind of attitude drives me nuts. They think they are doing you a favor by "allowing" you to purchase their product. Guess that is what comes from having too much success.

The dealer that I purchased my Z723 from offered to drive out any and all models I was interested in to let me run them on my property at my convenience when I first made contact after I started looking for a new unit. He deals in several quality brands (Kubota, Hustler, Toro, Exmark,Gravely). Because of his accommodating attitude, I immediately narrowed my list to the brands he sold and made every effort to make sure he was the dealer that I purchased from.

I'm with you Elendil, the Exmark dealer pretty well pushed me away. With that type of attitude toward selling, I can only imagine trying to get them to honor a warranty. My local Kubota dealer only sells Kubota, he is a friend of the family and an overall good guy. I'm not crazy about the Kommander's Briggs or Kohler Courage engines, but not sure I want to spend $7k + on the z700s. :confused2: I'm starting to see that in the $5k range, I will probably do just fine, but each models cuts back a little something that I don't like. With that said, if I want the best of all the components, I will have to pay for it.

Elendil

Elendil

I'm with you Elendil, the Exmark dealer pretty well pushed me away. With that type of attitude toward selling, I can only imagine trying to get them to honor a warranty. My local Kubota dealer only sells Kubota, he is a friend of the family and an overall good guy. I'm not crazy about the Kommander's Briggs or Kohler Courage engines, but not sure I want to spend $7k + on the z700s. :confused2: I'm starting to see that in the $5k range, I will probably do just fine, but each models cuts back a little something that I don't like. With that said, if I want the best of all the components, I will have to pay for it.

Yep, it is a tough choice. Our situations are a bit different since I mow about twice the area that you do. I too started looking at residential units in the 5k range. Certainly there are no shortage of quality residential units out there. My search went off the rails when I put what are quality residential units right next to commercial units.(even lower priced ones). It gave me a serious case of "unit envy". Considering the attractive finance rates and rebates offered on many commercial units it only worked out to be $1400 more to move to a commercial unit.

Without those incentives, I certainly would have stuck with the 5k residential units, many of which would have fit the bill very well. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll end up with a unit that does well for you.

S

Shughes717

Yep, it is a tough choice. Our situations are a bit different since I mow about twice the area that you do. I too started looking at residential units in the 5k range. Certainly there are no shortage of quality residential units out there. My search went off the rails when I put what are quality residential units right next to commercial units.(even lower priced ones). It gave me a serious case of "unit envy". Considering the attractive finance rates and rebates offered on many commercial units it only worked out to be $1400 more to move to a commercial unit.

Without those incentives, I certainly would have stuck with the 5k residential units, many of which would have fit the bill very well. Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll end up with a unit that does well for you.

Even with the incentives $1400 is a lot of extra money for 1.2 acres. No matter which way you go you will be getting a good mower. The kommander could handle a much larger lawn for many years, but if you have the extra money and want a mower that can handle 25 1 acre lawns a week then the z700 series is a good choice.

Elendil

Elendil

Even with the incentives $1400 is a lot of extra money for 1.2 acres. No matter which way you go you will be getting a good mower. The kommander could handle a much larger lawn for many years, but if you have the extra money and want a mower that can handle 25 1 acre lawns a week then the z700 series is a good choice.

I never suggested that the $1400 would be appropriate for the OP to spend for his 1.2 acres. I used it to illustrate that it was worth it for me and my 2.5 acres (soon to be 3.25). However, since we are fast approaching the end of the season, there could be some great deals to be had as dealers try to move out the last of this year's models.

Also do not overlook the some late model used equipment. The dealer where I got my Z723 had a 2 year old ZD326 with 310 hours for $5950 asking price. I suspect it could have been had for a bit less. I was darned close to pulling the trigger on that, but with the incentives on the new stuff I decided against it.

S

Shughes717

You can get a semi commercial mower in the 5k range, but the z700 series will be a better mower than any 5k mower out there. I got lucky when I purchased mine in 2012. Got a 48" snapper pro s150xt with the commercial fx series Kawi engine and zt5400 hydros for about $5300. Mower would cost around 6k now. Your local exmark dealer must not be very interested in selling mowers with customer service like that. There are other options out there in the 5k range that will offer everything you are looking for. Some of those 6k mowers will drop to the 5k range in a month or so.