Export thread

Hustler Fastrac

T

Tatum

I have an older model Fastrac (around 2007) with 17hp. Kohler and 42 in deck. For a long time I have been unable to get it to keep the battery charge so I just relied on jumping it off. When it was running it ran very good. The problem now is that when I jump it off and engage the blades it will run for about a minute and then start to die. If I dis-engage the blades it will pick back up and run. I have replaced the switch to engage the blades and the wiring that runs from the clutch to another coupler at the suggestion of my dealer.
I somehow have a feeling that the battery not being charged has something to do with this problem. The mower has been sitting inactive for a while so the battery is most likely completely dead. Oh, and the battery is relatively new so I would think that would not be the problem.
Any suggestions on this problem or on how to fix my charging problem?

B

bertsmobile1

The engine has a solenoid that shuts down the carb .
It is spring loaded off so needs battery voltage to hold it open
Engaging the electric PTO with a flat battery causes the voltage to drop and the solenoid to shut down the carb.

So for starters you now need a new battery.
Find the regulator / rectifier , it will be in the plastic blower housing .
BEcause the housing is plastic Kohler run a ground strap from a blower housing mounting bolt to the rectifier mounting bolt .
This strap fractures so there is no ground and the rectifier can not rechargethe battery nor power the electric PTO.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Sub'd

T

Tatum

Thanks. I will check that out.