Hustler blows 30 amp fuse when key is turned to "on"

Badzombie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 Fastrak 52" mower with grass catcher, model 933432, (Kawasaki engine, 82 hrs.)
it died on me while mowing, but I re started it, and it ran about 30 seconds and died again. now it blows the 30 amp inline fuse every time I turn the ignition switch to the on position. I looked at all the wiring, and did not see anything that looked like it had any ware on it at all. I pulled the plastic cover on the right side, everything looks good. I disconnected the seat switch, the two brake switches, the blade engagement switch, still blows the fuse as soon as I turn the key to on. Help!​

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try disconnecting the fuel gauge / hour meter by unplugging the 8 pin connector.

The seat circuit is fuse by a 10 amp fuse and PTO is fused by a 15 amp fuse. but the above is not fused.

If it still blows fuses either there is a short to ground in the wiring or you have a bad ignition switch.

Badzombie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll check that out later today, Thanks!

Badzombie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can someone tell me what the hell this is?? it's a little black plastic box between the wire harness and the fuel gage, I removed it from the fuel/hour meter, and it quit blowing fuses. It still won't start, but I'm guessing that this has something to do with that too. I tried to attach a pic., but it says the file is too large.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Hustler blows 30 amp fuse when key is turned to "on"
Are you referring to item 21?
hus 4355574 INSTRUMENT.JPG

If so it is according to Hustler a wiring harness adapter. It is not shown on the wiring schematic.

If you look at the wiring schematic it appears that you have another problem too. But of without know what Hustler is doing inside that adapter it can be related. Not there to put my hands on wiring myself. With it blowing the 30 amp fuse repeated times it may have damage the ignition switch.
HUST 933432 Kaw wiring.JPG

Badzombie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you referring to item 21?
View attachment 54498

If so it is according to Hustler a wiring harness adapter. It is not shown on the wiring schematic.

If you look at the wiring schematic it appears that you have another problem too. But of without know what Hustler is doing inside that adapter it can be related. Not there to put my hands on wiring myself. With it blowing the 30 amp fuse repeated times it may have damage the ignition switch.
View attachment 54499
Yes! item 21 is what the problem is!

Well, I found it, it's a 6 prong 5 volt adapter that runs between the wiring harness and the volt meter. it's not shown on the wiring schematic, and the Hustler help desk never mentioned it. I called the distributor, and he had one in stock. he said he has had to replace a few of them. (about $48.00) any way, I'm back up and running. thank you for your help.

Badzombie

Forum Newbie
Threads
(yes item 21)

Mr. Mower

Threads
Outstanding! Glad you got the problem solved. (y)

Well, I found it, it's a 6 prong 5 volt adapter that runs between the wiring harness and the volt meter. it's not shown on the wiring schematic, and the Hustler help desk never mentioned it. I called the distributor, and he had one in stock. he said he has had to replace a few of them. (about $48.00) any way, I'm back up and running. thank you for your help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Good.

It sound like the 5 volt convertor (regulator) shorted out if my thinking is right. Anyways I will that PN to my with the note what it is. Also the diagram here shows it to be a 8 pin setup. Apparently yours is the older version without the fuse.
FASTRAK ADAPTOR.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Mower

Threads
From this information that you posted....it appears as though my 2016 Raptor Flip Up use's the 8 pin connector based on the Serial Number sequence.

Thanks for posting and sharing this info! (y)

Good.

It sound like the 5 volt convertor (regulator) shorted out if my thinking is right. Anyways I will that PN to my with the note what it is. Also the diagram here shows it to be a 8 pin setup. Apparently yours is the older version without the fuse.
View attachment 54507