Hustler 54" Super Z Mini Engine conversion - Kawasaki 25 hp to Kohler 22 hp

Dicks

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler 54" Super Z Mini Engine conversion - Kawasaki 25 hp to Kohler 22 hp
Hi again, with my recent purchase it included a "good" Kohler 22 hp to replace the Kawasaki 25 hp that had blown up. I have been looking at how to convert it and see the drive shaft on Kohler SV715 - 3034 has a 1" drive shaft and its 80 mm long. Compared to Kawa at 1 1/8" " drive shaft and approx 100 mm long (from specs I dont have old Engine).
My research on how to convert this revealed adapter sleeves were available and one also included an extension. My question is has anybody been through this sort of conversion and will the adapter sleeve method work ok?
I am purchasing a new clutch and pump drive pulley as well.
Thanks Dick

Bertrrr

Threads
I swapped on a while back and just changed the pully out along with it, had to get a different drive belt because the different pully was not the same diameter. I've seen sleeves from the factory to fit up the clutch / drive assembly before so someone makes them

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I swapped on a while back and just changed the pully out along with it, had to get a different drive belt because the different pully was not the same diameter. I've seen sleeves from the factory to fit up the clutch / drive assembly before so someone makes them

I have never used crankshaft sleeves for different diameter and length crankshafts, because I have never tried different sizes. You will also need to be concerned with wiring, bolt measurements for engine bolts, and will exhaust fit without modification. Also, is the choke and throttle set up similar.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I would not try it. First you would running the PTO clutch on either the sleeve or if you are able to get a extension it. There is over 3/4" length difference which mean one the PTO bearings will to be support by whatever adapter you use.

Also you will regret dropping 3 hp on the Super Z. Performance will suffer greatly in heavy grass.

Personally as many other tech do I always replaced engine very similar spec engines with the same hp or slightly higher.

Dicks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have never used crankshaft sleeves for different diameter and length crankshafts, because I have never tried different sizes. You will also need to be concerned with wiring, bolt measurements for engine bolts, and will exhaust fit without modification. Also, is the choke and throttle set up similar.
Ok, well I have one coming to find out! All from USA, nothing in Aust I can locate. I cant see why it wont work. Wiring is ok I have that sorted from Kawa to Kohler and the Engine bolts up fine. Exhaust will need mods yes.
Thanks for response!

Dicks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally I would not try it. First you would running the PTO clutch on either the sleeve or if you are able to get a extension it. There is over 3/4" length difference which mean one the PTO bearings will to be support by whatever adapter you use.

Also you will regret dropping 3 hp on the Super Z. Performance will suffer greatly in heavy grass.

Personally as many other tech do I always replaced engine very similar spec engines with the same hp or slightly higher.
Hi, yes I hear you on the HP drop however a new Engine is $5,500 AUD and I have this Kohler as part of the deal (near new) so will give it a spin. If it does not work out I will upgrade. Thanks for your comment!