Husqvarna Z254 F vs. the competition

zippinbye

Forum Newbie
Threads
Residential user here, needing to replace two aging garden tractor/mowers that are used exclusively to mow about 2.5 acres. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I must hire a guy to mow. Trustworthy, but his ability to maintain the machine is limited to adding gas. I think he knows what a grease gun looks like, but that's where his mechanical inclination stops. I can personally service at about four month intervals. I have had good luck with a 25 year old John Deere GT 262 with a 17 h.p. Kawasaki and manual trans - 1400 hours. It smokes on start up, but otherwise it is most often serviceable as a back-up to the primary machine, a seven year old hydrostatic drive Craftsman DYS4500 (AYP Built I think) with a 26 h.p. Intek (I alway assumed it's a B&S, but new info suggests Kohler). The Craftsman has under 250 hours, but, like the Deere, suffers from lack of routine scheduled maintenance at the proper intervals. Both these machines were great for the first few years with minimal upkeep, but reliability is suffering (understandably). Looking to replace with a ztr mower in the 50"-54" deck range. Budget is sub-$4000.

I'm weighing the Husqvarna Z254F against the John Deere Z375R and Cub Cadet ZT-1 (choice of Kohler or Kawasaki engine). These machines are all similar size and weight at more or less the same price point (Deere is +$300).

So my questions are:

1) How do these machines compare to one another?

2). Any other brands/models under $4000 that should be on my short list?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no need to post the same thread 4 times in less than 24 hours. It will not get you an answer any faster, but will definitely get confusing. Did you even read the reply I posted yesterday?

zippinbye

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no need to post the same thread 4 times in less than 24 hours. It will not get you an answer any faster, but will definitely get confusing. Did you even read the reply I posted yesterday?
I did read your post, and thank you.

I realized that my first post was not categorized as I had intended (in Kohler engines), but I just rolled with it. So that post was about a Kohler vs. Kawasaki engine choice. Clarifying the engine would be in a ztr mower is pertinent to the feedback I was hoping for. That post is its own thing. But there's no doubt that in the "big picture" I'm out to purchase a ztr mower.

The other three posts were about particular ztr mower brands, one each posted under the appropriate manufacturer thread. Honestly not the same post; each one is different. Am I trying to to reach a conclusion on the same general topic? Of course I am. I guess I was hoping for some diversity of thought as I solicited opinions on a purchase.

It's silly of me to think that I'll receive unbiased feedback under the category for a particular brand. If I ask the Toyota guys how a Land Cruiser compares to a Wrangler, and then seek the inverse from Jeep guys, I might see any common thought between the responses, even if each camp understandably favors a particular product. If I'm seeking a thumbs up for John Deere, the JD thread should not disappoint. Polling those in the know about each of the brands I'm looking at might provide some meaningful commonality of thought - that is my hope. Sorry if that seems inappropriate.

I do appreciate your insight on my post back in the Kohler thread.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would have posted your thread on the equipment purchasing sub title with a title like, “ Need help in deciding which Brand to purchase “ and then list your requirements it would have made it easier on everyone. You then would see in one thread all the different replies. You didn’t make a mistake in what you did, it’s just a learning experience on how to best use this forum. Good luck.

zippinbye

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you would have posted your thread on the equipment purchasing sub title with a title like, “ Need help in deciding which Brand to purchase “ and then list your requirements it would have made it easier on everyone. You then would see in one thread all the different replies. You didn’t make a mistake in what you did, it’s just a learning experience on how to best use this forum. Good luck.
Being a new guy here, I guess it would have been appropriate for me to pay attention to all the available thread categories before jumping in. I just didn't expect something as on-point as an equipment purchasing title. That makes too much sense!

Thanks.