Husqvarna YTA18542 Will Crank But Not Start

rfcnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower that won't start. The engine cranks but will not start. I charged the battery, replaced the spark plug, replaced the air filter, and drained the gas tank and replaced with new fuel. I tried starting fluid in the air intake and it will start for a few seconds and then quit. Should I clean the carburetor? Is there anything else I should check? I'm not an expert so I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance.
  • Motor/engine manufacturer
    Briggs & Stratton
  • Power output
    18.5 hp
  • Transmission type
    Hydrostatic
  • Cutting width
    42 in

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes ,
However a few things need to be checked first.
Remove the solenoid from the bottom of the carb ( thin 1/2" wrench )
If it has 2 wires turn the key on & off.
It should retract quickly every time you urn the key off
If it has 1 wire, ground it to the engine somewhere and do as above

Let us know what you find.

You will find a good photo guide to cleaning your carb at outdoor power Equipment site .

rfcnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I removed the solenoid from the carb. It has 2 wires. I turned the key on and off and the solenoid is not retracting at all so I'm assuming this is the problem.

I'm having a hard time finding the right part. I have a Briggs and Stratton Model: 33R777 0003 G1 - Code 161010ZD

Jacks Small Engines list the part as 846639 which looks like the one I took off.

Are they pretty reliable as far as listing the correct parts? Any other suggestions to look it up? The other part lookup places seemed to have a different older Solenoid model.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you push the plunger in by hand ?
If so then some carb cleaner on the plunger , let it soak a bit then some more .
Start moving the plunger in & out with more carb cleaner.
Eventually you will get it to the point where the plunger will move freely and spring back quickly when released .
Then check if it moves when energized .
They go $ 45 to $ 100 so you don't want to replace one that can be fixed.
I am assuming you do have a 33R777-0003-G1 engine ?

rfcnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I can push the plunger in by hand. I will try the carb cleaner. Yes, also I do have a 33R777-0003-G1 engine. Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or just use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean these units. It safer for the person cleaning the solenoid, the solenoid, and the environment.

And yes according the IPL the 846639 is for the Ruixing carburetor that was used per your date code. Even Nikki carburetors use both the long version and short version of the solenoid.

Last year I had two of the Nikki 596038 fuel solenoids to be defective straight from the Briggs distributor. They would not retract; unless, you bump the plunger sideways. Due Briggs warranty policy change I was unable to get them made up since I must go through a local dealer for warranty and none around here would honor the warranty claim since I didn't buy the parts directly from them. Otherwords I had eat $100 in new parts because they were defective.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never tried to do one in the ultrasound
Usually I have to do them on site so all I have is the carb cleaner and a pair of gloved hands.
Some of the dried up varnish is really hard to remove without a strong solvent .
Another reason why I love Honda engines as the plungers are not captive so you can pull them right out when they need a clean.

Ken Kegris

Threads
I have a HF generator that has that anti backfire valve installed and it does not open up until the charging coil in the engine produces enough power to open it. Therefore it does not come into play until the engine is started. I have taken and cut that little brass piece and cut it off. It only there to prevent backfire when engine is shut off. I went to buy one and it was over 90.00 USD.

rfcnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered a new fuel solenoid on Amazon for $39. I got it running now. Thanks, for your help!

Jpow

Threads
I have a Husqvarna riding mower that won't start. The engine cranks but will not start. I charged the battery, replaced the spark plug, replaced the air filter, and drained the gas tank and replaced with new fuel. I tried starting fluid in the air intake and it will start for a few seconds and then quit. Should I clean the carburetor? Is there anything else I should check? I'm not an expert so I'm hoping someone can provide some guidance.
  • Motor/engine manufacturer
    Briggs & Stratton
  • Power output
    18.5 hp
  • Transmission type
    Hydrostatic
  • Cutting width
    42 in
After trying everything, I simply removed solenoid, clipped the plunger off, added a fuel shut off valve and presto. Runs like a champ!