Husqvarna IZ4818 won't start (Kawasaki Powered)

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I mowed on Thursday and the mower ran like a champ. Friday I put up a new air filter and pre filter in it and when I went to move it to swap out the blades it would not start. It I give it a short blast of starting fluid it will run for a second or two until the ether is gone. I did clean the inside of the outer air filter cover with some brake cleaner to get the nasty dirt out of it, but I also blew that off with the air hose prior to putting it back on to remove " most" of the cleaner. I toook the plugs out and they looked fine, but didn't smell like gasoline was getting to them.

Where should I start trouble shooting? By it running on the starting fluid it is safe to say it is firing, do I replace the gas line filter or the fuel pump?

Thanks in advance,
Harley

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Just disconnected the fuel line from the pump to the motor, pump is working fine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think you're going to have to rebuild the carb. Sounds like the main jet has dirt in it.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Job for a shop or for someone like me who grew up on a farm and is pretty handy?

Is it hard to do on this engine?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are handy and have patience you should be able to do it. Open work bench with rags spread out, carb cleaner, carb kit and basic tools are all you should need. Just take your time and watch what you're doing.

hitmanharleyk

Threads
If you are handy and have patience you should be able to do it. Open work bench with rags spread out, carb cleaner, carb kit and basic tools are all you should need. Just take your time and watch what you're doing.

Handy yes, patience no!

hitmanharleyk

Threads
Unplugged the wire on the solenoid and checked it for power, plugged it back up and she cranked right up!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does that mean you got it running?

hitmanharleyk

Threads
I did get it running. I mowed this afternoon and after about 15 minutes it cut off again, I unplugged the wire and then reconnected it and it ran like a champ the next hour and a half.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean both parts of this connection to prevent future problems.