Husqvarna hydrostatic problems

SamM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Everyone! New guy here.
I have a Husqvarna GTH 250 and I'm having a hard time troubleshooting the problem. Im a hotrodder and am pretty comfortable turning wrenches, but know very little about hydrostatic drives. Last mowing season, I was using the mower, and, while moving forward, I had to hit the brakes hard (cat ran in front of me). after that, releasing the clutch/brake pedal would cause the engine to stall, and the belt would smoke a bit ( I didnt leave it out long, just half a second). This was the case with any trans setting, even neutral. I didn't have the time to dig into it, so I tarped it where it sat and forgot it. I went to take a look today, and turned the key and it started right up, but now letting the clutch out doesn't spin anything. I jacked the back up and the wheels spin, so its not jammed up anymore. The belt seems to be in place. Im at a bit of a loss, and thought I would seek out some advice from people who knew what they were doing.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Sam

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
not a clue cause I don't own one, but I've seen more than one thread where missing or broken front mount bolts have caused some unusual issues. Someone had an issue the other day where the pieces of spring steel that hold the clutch steady on his break. My guess is that something shifted or broke with the sudden braking. I'd be inspecting all the mount points.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jamming the brakes hard could of caused the parking brake to stick. Look on the side of the transmission for a small disc normally on the lower right side in front of the axle. There should be a lever attached to a spring or rod. Move it around to see if it releases. If so then made need to TLC to keep if working correctly

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You may have just jammed the brake caliper on the Hydro Gear 222-3010 Transaxle.

Attachments

• Hydro Gear 222-3010 IPL.pdf
    255.1 KB · Views: 19

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Everyone! New guy here.
I have a Husqvarna GTH 250 and I'm having a hard time troubleshooting the problem. Im a hotrodder and am pretty comfortable turning wrenches, but know very little about hydrostatic drives. Last mowing season, I was using the mower, and, while moving forward, I had to hit the brakes hard (cat ran in front of me). after that, releasing the clutch/brake pedal would cause the engine to stall, and the belt would smoke a bit ( I didnt leave it out long, just half a second). This was the case with any trans setting, even neutral. I didn't have the time to dig into it, so I tarped it where it sat and forgot it. I went to take a look today, and turned the key and it started right up, but now letting the clutch out doesn't spin anything. I jacked the back up and the wheels spin, so its not jammed up anymore. The belt seems to be in place. Im at a bit of a loss, and thought I would seek out some advice from people who knew what they were doing.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Sam
Spin in the same direction or opposite directions?
Opposite direction = brake jambed on which locks the diff
Same direction but can be held to stop both wheels = bad hydro or bad clutch not tensioning the belt fully
If the mower is high enough and you stop both wheels from turning then have a look at the drive belt
It will probably be slipping on the engine pulley .

SamM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Spin in the same direction or opposite directions?
Opposite direction = brake jambed on which locks the diff
Same direction but can be held to stop both wheels = bad hydro or bad clutch not tensioning the belt fully
If the mower is high enough and you stop both wheels from turning then have a look at the drive belt
It will probably be slipping on the engine pulley .
Hi Bertsmobile1!
Opposite direction, which makes sense. I will dig into it tomorrow as its raining today, and give an update when were up and running.
Thanks again for the help.
SamM

SamM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jamming the brakes hard could of caused the parking brake to stick. Look on the side of the transmission for a small disc normally on the lower right side in front of the axle. There should be a lever attached to a spring or rod. Move it around to see if it releases. If so then made need to TLC to keep if working correctly
Thanks! I believe this will be the fix. Going to dig in tomorrow as its raining today.