Husqvarna CTH2138R blade drive belt replacement

Archer03

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have replaced the blade belt according to the routing diagram in the manual, however I cannot get it over the clutch pulley because of the tension spring. Would appreciate some advice on how to correctly install the belt. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put it over the clutch pulley first then stretch the spring to get it over the tension pulley.
A couple of tricks to try to stretch the spring
1) use a long wrench on the nut head for leverage
2) use a tie down hooked over the tension lever to stretch the spring

Archer03

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'm going to try your option 2 with a puller. I'm leery of stretching the spring beyond it's yield point.
I'll let you know how it goes!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have to stretch the spring much more than 2" ( SORRY I AM AN OLD FART SO INCHES IT IS ) then the belt is not routed right,
Being rear discharge while using a plain single V belt requires a complicated belt run.
It also means a short belt life.

jamesmatthew

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put it over the clutch pulley first then stretch the spring to get it over the tension pulley.
A couple of tricks to try to stretch the spring
1) use a long wrench on the nut head for leverage
2) use a tie down hooked over the tension lever to stretch the spring

great :thumbsup:

Archer03

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 1 tonne hand puller for $25.00, hooked up mandrel pulley to the towbar on my truck and after a couple of cranks of the ratchet the spring had been stretched sufficient for me to get the belt over the drive pulley and idler pulley. Released the tension on the puller and bingo all working OK. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad it went well for you.
While I love to take the credit for the "use a tie down / puller " idea, it was pinched from ne of the little old ladies on my repair run.
Inventive bunch them little old ladies